Chapter 44: Fulfilling a promise

Bai Sijin had anticipated this day would come, but he didn’t expect it to arrive so soon, leaving him no time to express his true feelings to her.

He approached her, his gaze tender and affectionate, and spoke softly, “Xuancao, it’s me.”

Xuancao stepped back, avoiding him, “Are you a snake demon?”

Initially, she thought it was a demonic creature disguised as Bai Sijin to deceive her. However, upon careful observation, she confirmed multiple times that he was indeed her husband.

Even if a demon could assume Bai Sijin’s appearance, it couldn’t imitate his refined and noble temperament.

It felt as if the sky had collapsed, and her world shattered…

She had sworn to eradicate all evil, but ironically, her dearest and beloved husband turned out to be the demonic creature she despised.

Recalling their first meeting, he was scheming against her, and the green snake demon was his accomplice. He deceived her body and heart, even coaxing her into marriage, disregarding her lifelong aspiration to protect the sect, solely desiring a peaceful life with him in Lin’an Manor.

How ridiculous it all was!

Xuancao’s eyes turned red, and she stared at him with intensity, “You’ve been deceiving me all along!”

Bai Sijin was momentarily stunned, witnessing her teary-eyed appearance, and all he wanted at that moment was to embrace her, kiss away the tears at the corners of her eyes.

The usually articulate Bai Sijin found himself tongue-tied in front of her.

Indeed, he had deceived her.

But now, he wished to lay his heart bare, hold it in his hands, and show it to her, drenched in blood.

Observing the scene, Yun Yu knew that his objective had been achieved and joyfully shouted, “Disciple, kill him!”

Xuancao raised her Tai Xu sword and swung it fiercely at Bai Sijin.

Crash! A tree beside Bai Sijin collapsed, its branches rustling and falling.

Bai Sijin stood motionless, letting the leaves fall upon him.

Xu Xuancao helped the injured Yunyu to his feet and departed with her sword.

On the horizon, a phrase of broken affection drifted down.

“The next time I see you, it will be like this tree!”

Gazing at the severed tree, his eyes turned dark and deep, like a stagnant pool of water that could no longer withstand any ripples.

After a long time, he slowly closed his eyelids, clutching his abdomen injured by the Three-Flavor True Fire, and slumped onto the broken tree trunk.

Although his body bore no visible scars, that scorching heat tugged at his heart, causing him unbearable pain…

So painful…

It hurts so much…

Xu Xuancao returned to her sect, feeling empty and hollow. She stared blankly as her senior uncle treated her master’s injuries.

Yun Sheng applied ointment to Yun Yu and exclaimed, “That Bai Sijin is truly a demon? How did I not see it at all?”

“Shh, be gentle…” Yun Yu gritted his teeth in pain. “He is Su Jin, how could I have made such a mistake! Knowing that Xuancao is the top disciple of Guiyun Sect, he must have had some ulterior motive for approaching her.”

Yun Sheng, who was knowledgeable and experienced, also sensed the complexity of the situation. He looked at the pale and lifeless Xu Xuancao with pity and said, “Fortunately, we discovered it early, and no major harm was done.”

Yun Yu stared at her sharply, “Why didn’t you kill him back then?”

Xu Xuancao remained stunned for a while before replying, “With my abilities, I’m afraid I wouldn’t have been able to harm him.”

Yun Yu had a faint sense that her words were evasive, but upon further thought, Su Jin’s cultivation was truly unfathomable, and coupled with his own injuries, it would have been futile for Xu Xuancao to confront him.

His eyebrows furrowed lightly, “Remember from now on, he is the demon Su Jin. Good and evil cannot coexist. You have reached the end of your association with him!”

Xu Xuancao trembled and silently lowered her head.

Yun Sheng examined Yunyu’s pulse and exclaimed in surprise, “Your heart foundation has been damaged? Did Su Jin secretly attack you?”

Yunyu hesitated and said, “Yes, it was him.”

Could it be that Su Jin had wedged himself between him and his disciple, making it impossible for him to understand his feelings for her?

That emotion was like a red candle burning in the vast night, emitting a faint light that was enough to illuminate his silent heart that had been dormant for hundreds of years.

His disciple belonged to him, and no one else could possess her!

Yun Yu spoke with seriousness, “Starting tomorrow, you shall cultivate the Heartless Path.”

By cultivating the Heartless Path, she would be able to forget about emotions and absolute righteousness, and they could be together for thousands of years. Wasn’t that the greatest commitment between a husband and wife in this world?

Xu Xuancao raised her head and looked directly at Yun Yu, “Master, I don’t want to cultivate the Heartless Path.”

Yunyu stood up abruptly, “Why? Didn’t you promise me?”

“Cultivating the Heartless Path is your desire, not mine…”

After getting to know Su Jin, she didn’t want to be emotionless and numb, living in this world. Even if her relationship with Su Jin had broken, this thought still lingered in her mind.

Yun Yu took out a voice transmission stone, “Do you still remember the solemn vow you made?”

“Disciple swore to the heavens that if my husband was truly a demon, I would personally subdue him!”

Xu Xuancao clenched her fist, listening to her past oath, with each word striking at her heart.

Yunyu chuckled softly, “Only by cultivating the Heartless Path can you deal with Su Jin and fulfill your promise.”