Chapter 31: Master found out

Master’s summons must be urgent.

Xu Xuancao sent a crane message, one to Lin Xuanshu informing him of Ruan Niang’s true identity, and another to bid farewell to Bai Sijin.

Shortly after, she swiftly returned to the Guiyun Sect.

The Guiyun Sect was located on Qingcheng Mountain in Bashu. It was founded five hundred years ago by her direct master, Zhenren Yunyu.

Legend has it that during the chaotic era of demons and monsters five hundred years ago, Zhenren Yunyu single-handedly killed the notorious leader of the demon realm, Qiong Kui. Overnight, he gained fame and established the sect on Qingcheng Mountain, recruiting disciples. For hundreds of years, they have been slaying demons and protecting the people of the region.

Xu Xuancao was one of the rare direct disciples of Zhenren Yunyu, while the other disciples were outer sect members.

Recently, Zhenren Yunyu had been striving to break through the tenth level of the Heartless Dao. Meanwhile, the senior disciples often left the sect, enjoying their swords and exploring the rivers and lakes.

As a result, when the sect encountered challenging problems, it was often Xu Xuancao who handled them alone.

Upon her return to the sect, Xu Xuancao immediately killed a forbidden evil demon, assisted her fellow disciples in controlling a group of demonic beasts at the foot of the mountain, and sealed them in the Demon Suppression Cave. Then she went to the machinery room to help her senior uncle oil the machinery.

She was busy as a spinning top, constantly in motion.

In the evening, Xu Xuancao finally had some leisure time and walked alone in the waterside pavilion.

The grand Daoist temple was adjacent to the courtyard, and the sounds of her fellow disciples’ clamor occasionally reached her ears. Sometimes she encountered a few disciples of the same age who respectfully greeted her and quickly walked away without looking back.

In the Guiyun Sect, she was often alone.

After all, her abilities were too strong, which made others jealous, and she had little in common with peers her age.

Her senior uncle often said, “The higher you climb, the colder it gets.”

But Xu Xuancao didn’t pay much attention to it. Fulfilling her master’s legacy was her sole goal in this lifetime.

The night wind rustled the withered leaves, mixed with occasional bursts of chill.

If that person were by her side, he would surely take off his outer garment and wrap her chilly body.

If she didn’t bid farewell in person, would he be angry?

With his amiable temperament, if they were to meet again, he might no longer pay her any attention…

Well, she was wholeheartedly devoted to the Dao.

This affection could only be regarded as a fleeting encounter.

Xu Xuancao headed towards the cliff where her master was in seclusion and gently knocked on the stone door. “Master, I’m back.”

The stone door thunderously opened, and from inside came the cold words, “Come in.”

Xu Xuancao entered the stone chamber and saw a handsome man with white hair sitting cross-legged on an icy bed. At first glance, he resembled an ice sculpture.

Zhenren Yunyu, due to his extremely high cultivation, maintained the appearance of a twenty-five-year-old. He had reached the ninth level of the Heartless Dao but had been stuck in the final stage of advancing to the tenth level for many years.

He slightly raised his chin, opened his eyes, and looked at Xu Xuancao. “Why did you return so late?”

Xu Xuancao was always efficient in her tasks. Her stay in Linyin Prefecture was indeed the longest she had experienced.

She briefly recounted the events that had taken place, omitting the entanglement with Bai Sijin.

When she mentioned the incident where she nearly lost her life to the poisonous snake, Zhenren Yunyu remained calm and said coldly, “You were truly not cautious enough, neglecting precautions against poisonous substances. This failure can serve as a lesson for you. From now on, you must carefully assess the situation and avoid reckless actions.”

Xu Xuancao nodded in response.

Zhenren Yunyu, who practiced the Heartless Dao year-round, was usually extremely cold and strict towards Xu Xuancao. He commanded her to abide by the rules of the Guiyun Sect in every action, and she had never received the slightest bit of care from him.

Zhenren Yunyu said, “When your master returns, ask him to prepare some detoxifying pills for you.”

Xu Xuancao knelt on a grassy mound and lowered her head. “I understand.”

Upon hearing her obedient voice, a fleeting warmth passed through Zhenren Yunyu’s heart, but it quickly disappeared. Having cultivated to the ninth level of the Heartless Dao, it was already difficult for him to experience the seven emotions and six desires. If he were to reach the full completion of the tenth level, he would become an immortal without emotions or desires.

Zhenren Yunyu was very satisfied with his disciple before him. She was his proudest creation and the only one who could inherit his mantle.

He lifted his gaze and looked directly at her, assessing her lowered face. A small patch of skin was revealed beneath her neck, catching his eye.

“What is this?” he reached out his hand, forcefully pulling her closer and opening her collar.

Ambiguous marks of kisses adorned her delicate neck, like a few red plum blossoms scattered amidst the pure white snow.

Xu Xuancao covered her neck and met her master’s icy gaze, feeling a chill spread throughout her body.

Oh no, her master had discovered…