Chapter 37: He wanted to completely snatch her away

Xu Xuancao tiptoed over and hid behind Bai Sijin, gently covering his eyes with her slender fingers. “A little child who’s angry doesn’t get any candy.”

Bai Sijin chuckled softly, turned around, and lifted her up as if she were a little child. “You are my wife. How could I be angry with you?”

Xu Xuancao hugged his thigh, her face pressed against his broad chest, mischievously tracing her fingers on his chest. “You must be angry, I can tell.”

Bai Sijin smiled but remained silent.

Indeed, he was indeed provoked at that time, but his anger was not directed towards Xu Xuancao, but towards someone else.

Everything that Xu Xuancao saw and heard, all her perceptions, were shaped by a certain person.

It was like a finely crafted sword, invincible and indestructible, but the one wielding the sword only showed her the bloody cruelty, even forcibly distorting her sense of self.

After going through several twists and turns, he finally obtained her. But compared to the profound impact that person had on her, it was still far from enough.

“If I had met you earlier…” Bai Sijin held her tightly, kissing the corner of her lips.

He was determined to completely snatch her away.

Xu Xuancao passionately responded, their lips met, and their souls seemed to float to the clouds.

After exchanging a comfortable kiss, the two of them leaned against each other in the pavilion, quietly enjoying their private world.

The fluttering sound of wings suddenly interrupted the romantic atmosphere.

Xu Xuancao frowned and looked up, seeing a cloud crane perched on top of a tree, its black bean-like eyes scanning them.

“Chirp chirp.” The cloud crane raised its claw towards her, revealing a hanging letter.

Sure enough, it was another letter from her master, succinctly urging her to quickly return to the sect.

Strange, why did her master’s seclusion end so quickly this time?

Xu Xuancao crumpled the letter and stood up. “I should go back first and come find you later.”

Bai Sijin held onto her sleeve and softly said, “I’ll go with you and stay at the foot of the mountain. It saves you the trouble of going back and forth.”

Xu Xuancao agreed with a warm feeling in her heart.

Her husband was truly wonderful.

*

During this period, Yun Yu found himself stuck and no longer forced himself into seclusion. Coincidentally, his junior brother, Yun Sheng, returned from his travels and sought him out to analyze the situation.

Yun Sheng propped up his legs, lazily slouching on the bench while snacking on melon seeds. “Senior brother, you might have encountered a heart demon, that’s why you’re stagnant. Did you have any distracting thoughts during your seclusion?”

Yun Yu’s handsome face, adorned with white hair, remained as serene as a snow-capped peak, but his amber eyes seemed like stones washed by a hidden current, trembling for a moment. “No, I didn’t.”

Yun Sheng smiled. “Don’t rush to deny it. After all, we’ve known each other for hundreds of years. I can tell what you’re thinking even if you just lift a foot.”

He squinted his eyes and teased, “Your heart demon is Caocao, isn’t it?”

Yun Yu sternly retorted, “Nonsense!”

Just then, a knock on the door sounded from outside, accompanied by a young girl’s voice calling, “Master, has Senior Uncle returned?”

Yun Sheng bounced up and greeted her with a smile. “Caocao, I’m back!”

Xu Xuancao excitedly rushed over. “Senior Uncle!”

“It’s only been two months, but it seems like you’ve grown taller.” Yun Sheng patted her head, feeling deeply moved. He took out a pitch-black vial from his Qiankun pouch. “Look at the gift I brought you—Water-Avoiding Pill, Fire Talisman. Are they enough? I heard you were almost scared by poison the last time, so I specially refined an Antidote Pill for you last night…”

Yun Sheng always treated Xu Xuancao like a younger sister and had doted on her since she was young. Although he disliked Yun Yu’s wolfish teachings towards her, he also knew how much Yun Yu valued her.

Xu Xuancao only took the Antidote Pill. “This is enough for me.”

Yun Sheng observed her and exclaimed, “Your forehead has a rosy glow, indicating romantic encounters. Have you met someone you fancy?”

Unexpectedly, Senior Uncle saw through it immediately. No wonder he was a fortune-teller who deceived people outside.

Yun Yu, hearing his words, looked at her intently.

With her master right beside them, she dared not speak the truth and playfully replied, “Isn’t it because Senior Uncle, you’ve returned that I’m delighted and blushing with joy?”

Yun Sheng narrowed his eyes at her. “When did you become so smooth-tongued?”

Suddenly breaking the silence, Yun Yu, who sat upright, coldly questioned, “Why have you been frequently going out without notifying me?”

Xu Xuancao was momentarily stunned but answered, “A demonic beast escaped from the Demon Subduing Cave, and I was worried about the villagers below the mountain, so I rushed to capture it.”

Yun Yu said, “Such trivial matters can be handled by outer disciples. You don’t have to take care of everything personally.”

Xu Xuancao nodded. “Disciple will go rest in her room then.”

“Mm.”

After Xu Xuancao left, Yun Sheng pointed disdainfully at Yun Yu and reprimanded, “You, you’re too strict with Caocao. If she truly meets someone she likes, are you planning to meddle and break them apart?”

Yun Yu lowered his narrow eyelids and said calmly, “Those who cultivate the Path of Emotionless should not be tainted by worldly desires. As her master, it is only natural for me to properly guide her.”

Yun Sheng chuckled in exasperation. “If it’s truly guidance, then I have nothing to say. Senior brother, senior brother, I’m worried that you’re acting out of selfish desires.”

“Never.”

“Let’s hope so.”

*

That night, Xu Xuancao tossed and turned on her bed, worrying about Bai Sijin, who was alone at the foot of the mountain.

The thatched roof of the small cottage, would it become damp and cold at night?

Would the outside monsters catch a whiff of his pure aura and come looking for trouble?

No, she couldn’t bear it. She couldn’t rest assured about him.

Xu Xuancao abruptly got up, dressed herself, and stealthily climbed over the tall stone wall.

Meanwhile, on the roof of the house, stood the tall figure of the white-haired man, watching Xu Xuancao sneaking out of the sect and heading towards the mountain below.