32) Standing here, it's all so clear I'm where I'm meant to be

Matt

"Hey, Matt. How are you doing? Are you excited for baby Bassett-Cornett?" Josh and my friend, Cozi sit next to me while Josh talks to Juls, and Mark talks to Josh.

"Hey Coz, I'm more nervous than excited. How are you doing?" I finished my hot dog since Josh requested casual food instead of fancy catering.

"I'm good. Working on some new projects. Do you mind if I write him so lullabies? I think Josh would love that." Cozi says while eating her lunch.

"That would be amazing, Coz. Hey speaking of music, have you heard Josh's new album?" I lean closer to her and give Josh space to be with his friends.

"Yeah, it's amazing. He was so bummed out that you weren't at his album release party. Sof texted me a picture of his sad face when he didn't want to leave the apartment." Coz whispers in my ear.

"I still feel bad I missed it. I was taking care of family stuff in Arkansas," I frown while watching Josh drink more water.

"Don't worry. You can still listen to his album anytime you want, and I'm sure he will be releasing another one when the baby gets a bit older," Coz winked at me then got up to go talk to Sofia.

Not even a minute later, I watched Claire sit in the seat that Cozi was sitting in.

"You okay, Matty? You look sad on this happy day." Juls nudges my shoulder.

"Yeah, of course. How many more games are we playing?" I change the subject.

"Two more, and then we will dance, have cake, and watch you guys open gifts." She says as if she knows the schedule by heart.

"Geez, is this party going until nighttime?" I check my Apple watch and see it says 2:30 pm on the screen.

No wonder Josh is hungry, it's too late for him to eat.

"Ashley said it shouldn't go past 5 pm because we only serve one meal. Do you want to get a drink?" She responds and I can't stop thinking about how my siblings and parents aren't here.

"I'm okay, thanks." I look down at my empty plate.

"Dara, can you watch him? I'm gonna get him a sparkling water." Jules gets up from her seat rubbing my shoulder gently.

After Larry wins the guess the baby's due date game, Claire pulls me to the side of the party to check on me again. I swear I am fine. This is where I am meant to be with my fiance and son.

"You haven't said much besides standing next to Josh and whispering things in his ear. Do you want to step outside for a moment?" My cousin nudges my shoulder since I keep spacing out.

"Emery," I whisper to nobody in particular while Josh glances at me during the middle name game which is this stupid musical chairs thing one of his sisters came up with.

I won't tell them that I think it's ridiculous to pick a middle name randomly.

"What did you just say?"Claire says to me trying to get me to make eye contact with her.

"Leo Emery Bassett-Cornett." I whisper to Juls even though I haven't consulted Josh on the name.

"That's a beautiful name. Does Josh know?" Juls hugs me while I stare at the musical chairs game.

"I read in a Ralph Waldo Emerson book that it means strength and leadership." I stare at Josh who is having fun with his friends and family.

I'm happy he's happy at his baby shower. He originally didn't want one.