5) Everyone comes here but nobody leaves

Joshua

I am meeting with my ex-girlfriend to discuss a possible song collaboration, today.

Matt doesn't know about a lot of the things that my manager is pressuring me to do this fall.

Olivia and Matt are good friends but when it's just me and her we are not even close to being mutual acquaintances.

I cannot believe that no one told me she was going to sign to a different record label, MY RECORD LABEL!

I feel sick to my stomach, and it's not morning sickness.

Okay, maybe it's half morning sickness and half nerves.

I can't believe, Manda did this.

She knows about the rumors and hate from 2021.

She knows about the paparazzi and media stories that are fake.

She knows what I don't want to do.

"Uh hi, sorry for running late. L.A. traffic is a bitch. Do you want a coffee from the cafe outside? It's on me." I look up from my train of thoughts and see Olivia standing there wearing a skater skirt and one piece that looks like it's designer.

I forgot that I had to tell her about my pregnancy.

I mean, I don't have to tell her but she's going to find out sooner or later.

"No, thanks. I am limiting my caffeine intake. Uh, take a seat, please." I sit nervously twiddling my thumbs in the Indigo Records office chair.

"Oh, I thought that you loved ice coffee in the morning?" I watch her sit down and place her purse on the table.

"Loved, as in past tense." I feel the tension in the room as my words come out of my mouth.

"Okay. So I was thinking we could write a rock song but add male parts so its a duet." I watch her play with a key chain on her purse as she talks.

"Olivia, why are you back in L.A in the first place? I thought that you were signed to a label in New York. What happened to that?" I look around the room to make sure that there are no cameras watching us.

"Do you know the saying, 'everyone comes here but nobody leaves'? Well, I came back to prove people wrong and also find my new sound by coming back." I avoid making eye contact with her while playing with my small bump.

"Why choose Indigo Records?" I shift in my seat a bit while I talk to her.

"Manda's contract is less strict than BluTie Records. I have more freedom now after letting go of the pressure from my first album. And, the team I have now is on board with my new punk rock sound." I let her talk while I stayed silent in my seat.

"My sound is nowhere near close to sounding like punk rock. Why is Manda making us do a duet together?" I rub my forehead trying to remember what my manager said in the meeting.

"I don't know. Good fan engagement debut? Maybe it's because she saw us sing Just for a Moment on Disney +? I was thinking that we could add in a drum beat since you play." I listen to her speak again and suddenly feel nauseous.

"Excuse me, my stomach isn't agreeing with my breakfast. I'll be back." I exit the room and head to the bathroom again.

This cannot be happening, now.

I fumble through my pocket and dial my emergency contact, who happens to be my boyfriend.

My breathing feels unsteady and I think I really am going to throw up.