Chapter 18

I'm pulled from my deep, dreamless sleep to my phone ringing. I roll over and ignore whoever is calling me. I'm almost asleep when my phone goes off again... and then a third time. Groaning, I turn over and search for my phone on my night stand. Blinding myself, I look at the number that has woken me up from my slumber.

No.... I'm still dreaming.

My heart begins to beat rapidly in my chest and my head begins to spin. I never programmed his name under his number but there is no doubt in my mind that it's Dylan calling me none stop. My phone goes black and I feel myself relax, till it begins ringing again. Cher groans from under her mound of blankets. I shouldn't answer, I know for a fact I shouldn't. I need to put the phone down, turn it on silent or whatever to keep me from answering.

But I'm to weak and I answer anyways, going against all the flashing red lights and warning sirens in my head.

I suck in a breath, "He....hello?" I whisper, my throat dry from sleep.

"Skylar!" He says, sounding caught off guard, "hey."

Still not fully awake, I sit up on my elbow, "Dylan?"

"Yeah...." he takes a slow breath, "Yeah, it's me." his voice sounds calm and even. Completely different from earlier in the night.

Suddenly anger rushes through my veins when I remember earlier, him yelling at me and treating me terribly, "What do you want?" I say sternly, "It's two a.m, why are you calling me?"

He clears his throat, "I wanted to talk to you." he speaks as if I should of known that all along.

"About what? It's two in the morning, whatever it is can it wait till the sun is actually up?" I ask falling back into my bed.

"No!" He responds quickly, "I need to talk to you. Now" there's a certain commanding tone to his voice, one that sits unsettling with me.

It's the same tone he used on me earlier, when he demanded of me my were about, when he treated me like a disobedient child. As tired as my body is, I still feel the frustration towards him, and I want to so badly to hang up on him. But, I can't.

"I don't want to talk to you Dylan." I say honestly, I don't know where it came from but it's the truth. After how he acted with me tonight, I just don't feel like having a conversation with him. Because it will all end with him telling me to leave in some form.

"But you answered your phone." there's a bit of hopefulness in his voice.

He has a really good point there. Maybe deep down I do want to talk to him, I want to figure out what the hell is going on between us. But right now, I still feel the ache, I still feel the pain from earlier and I just don't want him to cut me any deeper than he already has. I couldn't take it if he did.

"You kept calling me. If you woke Cher up, I'd be in a living hell right now." well, I still feel like I'm in a living hell.

Dylan laughs softly, and it's a beautiful sound, one that I don't hear that often. "Yeah, she's a real bitch if you wake her up before she needs to be."

I don't even want to know how he knows that but if I was being honest with myself, he's probably woken up a lot of girls in his life time. The thought makes me cringe, "Is this why you called? To talk about Cher?"

"No..."

My patients is running thin, "Then what do you want to talk about?"

Silence settles on the line, the only sound is our breathing and my beating heart just waiting for him to shatter it yet again. "I can't sleep...." he admits quietly as if someone is listening to our conversation, "I can't stop thinking about earlier."