Chapter 63

Skylar's POV:

It's only five o'clock and the sun is already setting on this cold fall day. I've only been at work for an hour but Jeanne sent me on my lunch break. I'm sitting at a booth towards the back of the coffee shop clutching a cup of hot tea between my fingers, holding it like it's my lifeline.

How?

How could he do something this cruel?

Then come home and touch me like he did.... is he seriously that detached from his emotions? A tear slips from my eye as my memory floods with images of him between my legs, of his hands branding my skin. Is that what he had done just hours earlier with .... with her? Bile rises in my throat and I cover my mouth afraid I may vomit on the table.

I take in a slow unsteady breath looking into my tea like it'll have some sort of answer for the mess of spider webs I'm in. My whole body wants to just give up and lay down holding up a white flag. I can't do this...

"Hey sugar."

I lift my head as Jeanie slides into the booth across from me, placing a freshly baked pastry in front of me. I know she's just trying to be nice but the small of lemon and flaky pastry makes my stomach churn.

"Hi... oh I'm sorry is my lunch over?"

I wipe at my eyes looking for the time not realizing how long I've been sitting in my own pity party. Just a few more days and I'll be homeward bound.

"Don't worry about it." she offers a kind smile, "That's actually why I'm over here. I'm sending you home Skylar."

My eyes widen, "What? No, Jeanie I'm so sorry."

She holds her hand up to silence me, "Stop, please. Skylar you look like walking hell. I already talked to Erica, she has a baby sitter for Violet and doesn't mind closing by herself. With Thanksgiving around the corner we are a bit slower."

I scrub at my makeup free face, "Do I really look as bad as I feel?"

Jeanne laughs, "I just want you to get some extra rest, that's all. I'm not sure what's been going on recently but it just seems, well to put it nicely I think your stretching yourself out to thin. Between the hours you work here, going to classes and lets not forget that wonderful man of a human being that has come into your life." she says pointedly.

At the mere mention of Dylan my heart sinks. I told him I needed time and space this morning, and since that I've had to turn off my phone because of his relentless phone calls and text messages. Mary was right, he doesn't understand his boundaries. Mary was so sweet to me this morning when I showed up on her door step. It was like she was waiting for me.

She sat on the swing on their porch and the moment my foot hit the walk way she was up and walking towards me with her arms stretched opened wide. I don't know what compelled me but I ran straight into her arms and just sobbed feeling completely ruined in the moment. She didn't ask questions, she didn't pester me for details, she simply let me cry quietly as she drove back to campus. Rob stayed back saying he would try to contain Dylan as much as possible.

Good luck with that.

Mary's word still echo in my mind though.

When she put her car in park she simply sighed and put her hand on my thigh keeping me from getting out.

"I don't know what he's done this time sweetie, but I know from experience that forgiveness goes a long was in these relationships."

"What do you mean?"