Chapter 41

Author's Note:

So I went to add a new part and a small note popped up saying there were too many parts in the story.... no I do not agree. Anyways... Enjoy!

Also, I changed her friends name from James to Brenton. Picture above is Brenton Thwaites, isn't he gorgeous!??

Skylar's POV:

I grip onto my stomach as I double over laughing so hard I can hardly catch my breath, my cheeks hurt from smiling so much and my makeup has smudged from the tears of laughter. Brenton sits across from me trying to impersonate his mother's reaction to seeing her garden on fire.

"Brenton!" he shrieks, his hands on his hips for dramatic effect, "For the last time, I have told you plants do not thrive off of fire! Where did I go wrong with you?" his raises his voice, sounding nasally as he dramatically pretends to throw his hair off his shoulder in the way his mom so famously does.

My cheeks burn as I laugh loudly at him, I've missed this so much. "Yo-your horrible!" I say gasping for air.

"Okay, yes this is true." he admits honestly, "But you also have to admit my impersonation is spot on." he smiles proudly across the table from me.

Brenton always has his way of making me laugh uncontrollably. We've only been seated for maybe five minutes and have already received many stares from the people seated around us. We get loud, we get out of hand but we could care less.

"You know, this is exactly why your mom likes me more." I joke with him catching my breath as I wipe at my smeared makeup.

"Here," he leans over the table and wipes under my eyes gently, "No she likes you because your not chaotic and unorganized like me. You're basically a miniature version of herself." he's fully concentrated on wiping away the black smudges of my makeup.

"You sure it's not because of all the destruction you've caused in your nineteen years of life?" I ask him, he's always getting into some sort of mischief.

His face contours into doubt, "No way! I kept her entertain." he defends his trouble making habits.

I roll my eyes as Brenton leans back into his seat, "Thanks." I tell him, "So how is your mom doing?"

The simple question sends him into a rant about his moms latest do it yourself project, something she's been doing since her oldest son, Jeremy left for the army. I listen carefully and watch as he talks with both his words and his hands, he has always been an animated one, the class clown. His honey brown eyes light up as he talks, something that has always made the girls melt for him.

He's definitely changed since the last time I saw him almost six months ago, when I told him I was moving out and starting college. Yes he was happy for me, I was getting out from under my father's dictating thumb, but still the goodbye was hard. We've been almost inseparable since middle school when he found me crying under the slide then went after the kid who made me cry, he was suspended for a week. When he returned to school, we instantly clicked as friends and haven't left each others side till college came around. He went to his art school and left me behind, then I left him behind when I decided to join.

Brenton has done a complete 180 in his appearance, his usual short choppy hair has grown out curling around his ears and neck hidden under a backwards baseball cap. His smile finally touches his eyes, nothing like the fake one he wore all through high school, pretending to be the guy his father and mother wanted him to be. He had a great act going, everyone at school saw him as the perfect guy, the class clown and the jock. To me, he was the goofy kid who loved to draw and get lost in music most nights while his parents barely spoke three words to each other. The kid who'd take me on too many adventures, and got us lost on every one of them. I can still see parts of the guy I use to know, but the Brenton in front of me, is finally the Brenton I always knew was in there. His arms are still well defined, if not bigger, he holds his head higher and has a more confident attitude about himself.