Chapter 2

"Maybe if we put it above the head of your bed"

I inwardly groan as my aunt stands in the middle of the room holding my cork board, trying to find the perfect place to hang it. Shes been here for almost two hours and already has tried to move my bed and dresser and has made multiple remarks about my roommates taste in music. When her attempts to rearrange my furniture failed, she moved onto redecorating my room. Apparently, my sky blue comforter set does not mesh with my roommates dark, mysterious oar. Personally, it looks like he just threw up band posters and threw his bed together all with in an hour.

A uncomfortable feeling shoots up my spine at that thought. I still haven't mentioned to my aunt about the guy who showed up in my room just hours earlier, or the possibility that he may be my room mate. I rather just forget about it.

Settling on my bed she heavily, "I just don't see how I can make this room practical for you."

I push off the wall, where I've been standing watching her work for the past hour, and take my cork board from her, "It's a dorm room Aunt Jenny, there is no way of making it practical." I hang my cork board back up where I had it earlier.

"I just need to make it work for the next nine months." I assure her taking her soft hand in mine as I sit beside her.

We sit in silence, well minus the loud heavy metal music coming from the next dorm room. I'm praying she'll be long gone before my 'room mate' returns for the night. There is no telling how she would react if she discovered I was in a co ed dorm. On the plus side, if he really is my room mate I won't have to worry about him stealing any of my clothes or make up. Then again, who knows how many girls he's gonna try to bring here. I cringe from the thought of possibly walking in on anything.

Patting my leg my aunt stands, "Come on sweetie." she smooths her blank pencil skirt, "Let me take you out for some good sushi. Lord knows how long it'll be before you have a decent meal." she teases me with a wink of her pale blue eyes.

Right on cue my stomach growls, "Well if that's not acceptance I don't know what is." she says lightly and hands me my purse and grey cardigan.

Smiling, I take my belongings and follow right after her just like I've always done. Though deep down I rather veggie out in my room watching re-runs of Friends on Netflix.

 "Your father is just so thick headed," my aunt spits in disgust, "it is either his way or no way. I just don't understand why he can't be more supportive of your decisions."

I snort, "That's an easy one, because it isn't what he wants."

"Well its ridiculous! You're his only daughter and he treats you like some drugged out, rebellious teenager." I can see the frustration playing out on her face.

"There is nothing I can do," I shrug, "I'm happy just as long as I'm doing what I enjoy doing." I finish off the last bit of rice on my plate and push it to the side. "Maybe one day he'll come to terms that I'm not the perfect little lawyer's daughter."

Across the table my aunt smiles brightly at me, "God you remind me of your mama."

I try to hide the smile that forms on my lips from hearing those words. The fact that she even thinks I'm anything like my mom makes me feel one hundred percent better about my decision. Even if it means not having my father speak to me for a week.

"So how busy did you make yourself for you first year at a real college?"

"What makes you think I did that?"

She cocks a perfectly shaped brow at me, "Like I said you remind me of your mama. She may of had time to conceive you while in college but that doesn't mean she didn't have a full schedule."

"Thanks for a bit of information." my aunt laughs shaking her head, "And for your information I only have five classes during the week."

"Wow, look at my girl finally taking it easy on herself."

Paying for our dinner we leave the sushi bar and I have to admit that it will probably be the last decent meal I'll be having for quite some time. Though it was way over priced and I could barely make out the food that was on my plate for the lights being so dim, I actually had a good time.

"I was actually thinking of finding a part time job." I admit to her on our way back to my dorm.

Letting out a loud, slow sigh I wait for her opinion, "Of course you are. My goodness, don't you ever think about just having some down time to have fun?"

We part to different sides of the hallway as a group of what seem to be fraternity brothers pass us. "Yes I do. I just, it's college Aunt Jenny I'm paying a pretty penny to learn a career. Not to party away my weekends."

Reaching my door my heart drops to the deep pit of my stomach remembering that there is a strong possibility that my wonderful room mate may be back. I pull my phone out, 10:24, maybe he wasn't back yet. It was still early by college kid standards. For me, I was already feeling tired on my feet.

"Skylar!"

I snap back to reality, "Sorry, thought I heard my phone going off." I stammer and quickly open my door.

Releasing the breath I have been holding, I feel instant relief seeing a dark empty room. My prayers have been answered, he is nowhere to be found. My aunt follows me inside, I'm to busy being thankful that my room mate isn't hear to listen to what she's going on and on about.

"I wonder who you're room mate is." she states randomly and I almost trip over my chair.

Suddenly paranoid of whether or not she knows I begin stuttering over my words, "W-what would ma-make you as-ask that?"

I mentally slap myself. She's going to know something is up just from my stuttering. I use to stutter all the time when I was younger. Till my father had enough of my poor vocabulary and put me in a year of speech therapy. My stuttering was cured, that is except when I become nervous in a situation. For example, now.

Her eyebrows knit together in confusion catching onto my nervousness, "What is going on?"

I suck in my lips and shake my head in answer. I rather not stutter any more. Her questioning eyes watch me closely for another minute before she releases a breath. "Well, I must be getting home. I have a long drive home and an early morning conference meeting."

Kissing my forehead tenderly she hugs me, "Thanks for dinner and for coming over."

"I couldn't have missed my favorite nieces first day at University!"

I laugh, "I'm your only niece."

"My point exactly. Get some rest, the bags under eyes give away your tiredness."

Left alone in my room now, I give way to my tired legs. My body to exhausted to undress itself and get into a suitable pair of pajamas as I cuddle into the warmth of my blankets. I fall asleep to the distant noise of heavy metal and my mind wandering around curiously about my so called room mate.