Chapter 87

Skylar's POV

The car comes to a slow stop before the driver puts it into park and climbs out. I feel sick to my stomach as I watch the man walk around the front of the blacked out car and comes to my door opening it. He stands back and says nothing further as I exit the vehicle and wait for my next instructions from David.

Two hours ago, Dylan kissed me goodbye and left for my aunts to speak about his case.

One hour ago, David told me my car is waiting outside the library and to get in with no questions.

After about an hour drive, I now stand in a parking garage and wonder if this is the last moments of my short life. The driver, who hasn't spoken a word to me, shuts my door and escorts me to the elevator. I'm burning to asks questions, dying to know what I'm getting into. Wishing Dylan was by my side, which of course will never happen seeing as, he has no idea I'm here and I know he'll never willingly come see his father.

At the moment, Dylan believes I'm home snuggled in our bed reading up on my next paper.

I keep telling myself it's for the best. I'm helping him, I'm protecting us. But I know the truth, I'm tearing us apart.

The elevator doors open and another man in a perfect three piece black suit waits.

"Uhm... what am I suppose to be doing?" I ask, my throat feeling raw from not speaking.

"Ken will escort you the rest of the way." The driver tips his head, "enjoy the rest of the day Skylar."

Him saying my name rattles my core. Does everyone here know me? Where exactly is here?

Stepping on the elevator, I try to disappear into the corner, holding my breath as the doors slide close. Leaving me alone with.... Ken. An equally scary looking guy as the driver.

Does he know me?

"Staring is rude miss."

His gruff voice startled me, "sorry." I mumble and twiddle my fingers, my eyes cast downward.

"It's nice to finally meet you Skylar."  I feel his eyes on me, "my name is Ken."

Speechless. That's all I can think right now. I suppose that answers my question of whether he knows me or not.

The elevator stops on the twentieth floor and opens to a long hallway.

"Follow me." He states in a firm tone and I do as I'm told.

David made it clear what would happen if I wasn't to do as I'm told. I don't need to find out if he's a man of his words or not. As we walk the hallway, I feel eyes on me, I hear soft whispers between people and I'm realizing.... Dylan and I's relationship was no secret at all.

My heart is pounding in my chest and I know if I don't keep breathing I'll pass out. Ken and I reach the last office where he knocks three times before entering,

"Here you go Boss."

Boss?

Are we serious now?

I fight the urge to roll my eyes. What are we dealing with the mafia now?

"Thank you Ken." David comes from behind the desk, "Don't stray to far, this meeting won't take long." He excuses Ken, smiling at me with dark eyes.

Ken leaves the office without a second glance. Leaving me alone with the devil himself. How is this man Dylan's father? Dylan has his demons, I know this. However, the man in front of me seems to be the creator the demons. I stand, still as a rod in the middle of the large office, as David unbuttons his jacket and leans against his great oak desk. His dark eyes take me in cautiously, as if I'm the one in the room that can't be trusted.