Chapter 35

I listen to the ringing of my phone mocking me, as my heart beats wildly in my chest. Part of me wants to hang up, forget I was ever even considering calling him and part of me is hoping that he'll answer and that last night wasn't really our last night.

Three rings

My nerves heighten, he's not going to answer. I pushed him too far this time, I finally got what I wanted, for him to leave me alone and now I regret everything.

Four rings.

He's not going to answer, I should just hang up now. This was pointless, I've should of known he wasn't going to answer my call. He hasn't tried getting a hold of me all day, something so unlike him, so why would he bother to take my ca-

"Skylar?" he voice comes through hurriedly on the phone, as if he's out of breath.

I'm thrown off guard, "Dylan... hi." I say, stunned he answered.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" he rushes to say, panic evident in his words.

My brows knit in confusion, "Of course I'm okay, why wouldn't I be?"

There's a silent pause between us before I hear his low voice again, "Because... well, you never call me." he clears his voice as if he's nervous, "Let alone answer my calls or texts. I mean, I'm usually the one trying to get a hold of you.

Except for today, I want to tell him but I refrain. Instead I smile, "Yeah, you can be pretty persistent when you want to be."

"Just one of the many charming qualities of my personality." his voice is light, his sarcastic demeanor showing through. "I mean you could answer me every once in a while."

I giggle from his teasing, "I could if I really wanted to."

His low chuckles echo in the phone receiver and I realize this is one thing I could never regret. I don't want Dylan out of my life, something I need to accept, "So um... are you working?"

"In fact I am." I play with a loose strand of my hair hanging loose from my pony tale, feeling like a giddy middle school girl speaking with him.

"Alright, I just need to shower really quick, but I'm picking you up." I hear some movement from his end of the line, "And don't try to argue with me, either way I'm going to be there to pick you up because knowing you, you'd walk home in this shit."

"Actually," my nerves bubble in my throat, "I-I called you fo-for a ride." I squeeze my eyes closed, afraid of my confession for some odd reason. I've confessed to him I care for him, yet telling him I'm calling for a ride after telling him to stay away from me causing unending nerves.

"Really?" he sounds unsure, "I thought, after all the shit last night that... "

"I know," I cut him off before he can continue, knowing all to well what was going through his mind at the moment. Only because it's going through mine as well. "But, I couldn't help myself. I want to see you again." I whisper, afraid I'll scare him off. He's made it pretty clear where he stands with us.

There's a long, lingering pause between us, but I won't take back what I said. I can't keep going in circles with Dylan, he deserves to know exactly where I stand with him. "Okay." he says breathlessly, "I just need to shower, which takes like seven minutes, including changing and then from here it'll probably take me a good sixteen minutes to get to the cafe in this weather so I'll be there in twenty-three minutes." he says precisely.

"How about we just say thirty minutes." I laugh at how precise he's being right now.

"I'll see you in twenty-three minutes Skylar." his voice dips seriously, before the line cuts out.