Chapter 19

I wake up to my alarm going off and a headache that makes me wonder if I was hit by a train. My eyes are bloodshot and puffy, a result of me crying myself to sleep and the restless tossing and turning that followed. I kept dreaming of Dylan, of him pulling me in by lustful eyes then pushing me away in anger. Even with me finally telling Dylan my feelings and speaking my peace, I felt nothing of the sort.

I can't even begin to explain the pain I feel in my chest, I've heard how traumatic and painful a heart attack can be. I think I rather be suffering from that then whatever I'm feeling now. Cher picked up on it immediately, and though I didn't tell her much she still insisted on taking me out tonight after the bond fire. With no strength to fight her I complied and now watch the clock at work waiting for her to pick me up at eight.

"Hey, Sky!" Erica calls from the back room, "your phone is going off... Again" her voice is filled with aggravation.

I can't blame her, since I got here Dylan has called me over 5 times. This morning I woke up to 3 missed calls from him. I don't know why he can't just leave me alone, he's the one who said we couldn't work out but here he is calling me over and over again.

Having enough of this I turn my phone off completely, "there you won't here it again." I assure Erica, I don't need her angry with me.

"Who keeps calling you?"

"Um.... It's no one." I shrug her off picking up the remaining dishes.

"Seems like they're desperate to get a hold of you." 

I don't think desperate would be the word I would use. Dylan's probably just upset that our little talk didn't go his way and wants to change that. But, as much as my heart begs me to answer, I've stayed strong all day and am looking forward to my night with Cher to keep my mind busy.

"Not desperate just.....persistent." that's a good way to explain Dylan, persistent and stubborn. "It's nothing important." I say nonchalantly, I have to keep pretending that it doesn't bother me or that I don't care. Eventually, I'll believe it.

"If you say so," Erica shrugs, "But if you ask me seems like it has to be something important if they keep calling you over and over again."

She and I both go back to work, staying busy for the most part. Not busy enough though that her words don't continuously play over in my mind. What if it is important, whatever it is he wants to talk about. I pull my phone out and put it back in my pocket multiple times, contemplating on calling him back. But I know that, that is exactly what he wants and I refuse to cave after being so strong. 

I take over the register as Erica starts to run orders. Before I know it, it's almost eight and Cher is going to be here soon, hopefully. I just want to get out of here and go to the bond fire, who knows maybe I'll actually have a good time and get out of this rut I've been in since I've arrived.

"Listen, I told you already..." Erica's loud voice sounds above the noise, "I'm your waitress tonight."

I look around the customer in front of me, trying to catch a glimpse of what's going on. "Do you think I care?" she asks, and it sounds more like a rhetorical question, "Either you order something from me or you get the hell out!" she threatens the customer.

"One moment." I tell my waiting customer and swiftly make my way over to the table Erica's at. "Hey what is go-" my throat dries out seeing what, or who, has gotten Erica all worked up.

"Do you know this bastard?" Erica looks pointedly at me.

Dylan looks at Erica with angry eyes, "Of course she does." he spits at her, "And who are you calling a bastard you bitch!"