Chapter 37

Dylan's POV:

Everything is dark, my heart is pounding in my chest as I listen. It's silent but only for a moment and that's when it happens. Suddenly all I hear are the screams, the pleading, the smashing, glass breaking. I start screaming myself, trying my hardest to break out of the closet my mom locked me in yet again. This happens every so often, mom and I are home for the night then dads car pulls in the driveway. She tells me to play hide and seek but to hide in the closet, he won't find me there.

But he always finds mommy, always.

I scream as hot tears roll over my cheeks listening to the yelling.

"Stop!" I try to scream but my voice catches in my throat.

I bang repeatedly on the door, desperate to get to mommy. I'm suppose to help her, to protect her but I can't! Why can't I scream? I can barely breath now as I choke on my own tears. Something gets thrown against the door causing me to jump back, then everything falls silent. Waiting, I back away from the door knowing what's coming. I pray the lock will hold, the he won't get through. I can hear my heart beat in my ears, my fingers grip tightly at my sleeves.

My prayers go unanswered as the door is ripped opened and the monster stands in front of me, "Where's mommy?" I ask through tears.

"Are you crying?" I can hear the anger in his voice, he hates when I cry, "Crying is for pussies, why are you crying?" he grips at my shirt and yanks me from my safe place.

"Mommy!" I shout closing my eyes tightly.

I jerk awake, gasping for breath as I'm violently pulled from my nightmare. My entire body is covered in sweat and my heart feels like its going to jump out of my chest it's beating so quickly. I sit up dropping my head into my hands, why am I dreaming about him again? My mind is on over drive instantly, my blood pumping through my veins. I've had too many set backs this week because of that bastard and it has to stop.

I'm about to climb out of bed when someone shifts beside me, I jump hearing soft snoring. For a moment I forget who it is before my mind catches up with me. Skylar fell asleep last night while I was showering. She lays next to me, her dark hair fans over my white pillows, her face at peace in her dreams as she clutches the blanket to her chest.

She looks so peaceful sleeping next to me, like nothing could touch her if I'm here. My heart relaxes as I watch her, listening carefully to her quiet snoring. I want to lay back down, pull her into my chest and forget my nightmare. I've done this too many times to know that won't happen. So begrudgingly, I climb out of bed and begin doing what I've always done after a nightmare.

I check all the windows and doors to make sure they're locked, like always they are, sealed tight. I turn on the kitchen light, Skylar and I's pizza sits cold on the counter, we never even got around to eating it. I bite my lip thinking of the way she moaned my name over and over again. How could someone like her let me even touch her?

Getting a glass of water, I stare at my punching bag hanging up across the living room. That's what I do, it helps release the anger built inside of me, but I don't want to wake Skylar up. My muscle ache to throw some punches, to feel my skin on my knuckles crack open and split. Slowly, feeling it's pull, I walk to it. I haven't had an episode like this in months, yet I feel like I'm right back to were I started. All the progress I've made stolen from me from that fucker that swore to protect me.

Uncontrolled, I throw a loose punch into the sand filled bag. Part of me feels the release, the rest feels guilty for giving into that bastard. He's in my head, he's always in my fucking head!