Chapter 1 Dry and High

Luka's P.O.V.

A sharp shiver ripples through my body, rapidly dissipating into the early morning air. My dark brown eyes open, and I wake up in a cold sweat. I grip firmly onto my good luck charm, a small pentagram-shaped pendant I keep around my neck. My mom gave me this, before running off into the darkness of the night, and leaving me here. It wasn't her fault. She was a Rogue, after all. She had no choice but to leave me here, which probably explains why I'm the Omega in the first place.

The name's Luka by the way. I'm the lowest ranking member of the Emerald Stone Pack, and to say I am treated as such would be an understatement. Feeling the pangs of hunger and then hearing the loud growl of my stomach, I roll over onto my belly, and slide out from underneath the brown park bench I've called home for three years now. I know it isn't much, but it's the only shelter I've got.

Once I'm on my feet, I glance over my right shoulder to spot if anyone's stalking me, before I walk over to the silver trash can on the street curb for some breakfast, assuming that there is something to eat. Once I'm sure it's safe, I slowly step towards the shiny steel container, careful not to jostle my legs too much.

Every part of my body hurts. Injuries from past beatings and punishments have made me barely able to move, not that I'd want to. If I said it once, I've said it a thousand times. It stinks to be me.

I walk over to the trash can, almost tiptoeing, trying to avoid the pain that rips through my entire body. I undo the black bungee cord on the top of the can and open it. Inside, I find a goldmine. Someone has thrown away a basket of fries with two and a half fries still inside. That may not sound like much, but for me it's a thin slice of nirvana.

"Heaven thank the person who gave me this meal," I mumble under my breath, as I take one of the fries and stick it in my mouth. "This is more than I've had to eat in a whole week."

Once that's done, I close the lid, and reattach the bungee cord. I then rub the chill bumps off of my arms, with a slight shiver myself. It's freezing this morning. That's unusual for springtime. I detest cold weather. Firstly, there's the fact that I'm outside all the time during the cold, and then there's the fact that my paper-thin rags don't help matters much. I shiver again, but this time it's not because of the cold, but rather the thought that just ran through my mind. Well, it's been a week since the last one. It's time for my weekly 'Shower.'

The only place I'm allowed to take a 'Shower' is all the way across the pack territory, so the only chance I have to make it there before the rest of the pack wakes up is to shift.

I get down on all fours and relax my whole body, my bones begin to crack. Unlike most wolves, where it stops hurting a while after your first shift, my shift didn't. It still hurts, even though it has been six years (NO, our clothes they don't rip, and NO, don't ask me where they go!).

Once I'm on four paws, I start running towards my destination. Running in this form is also very painful, but I shake it off, grit my teeth, and keep on running. That's not the only thing my injuries have stopped me from doing normally. I've also lost the ability to heal quickly. Because of my injuries, on average it takes my body weeks, or months to heal a simple break, instead of hours, if I did get that much time to recover.

Something strange also happens when I shift. Everything I have on me disappears when I shift, everything that is, except the pendant I keep around my neck. It and the dark green piece of thin wire that it's attached to seem to morph with me, it's as if I'm wearing a collar.

When I'm close to my destination, I shift back and slow down in front of the School building. About two years ago, I was walking around the front of the School looking for something to eat, when one of the teachers came out. I think he originally intended to tell me to get lost, but when he saw how dirty I was, I think he took pity on me, as a result he gave me permission to use his hosepipe. I think he wanted to help me more, but he couldn't. It's against the law of this pack to take in an Omega unless they get a mate that's of a higher ranking.