Chapter 27 The Calm Before The Storm

Previously, on His Alpha Her Omega 

As I do, however, I overhear Keith whisper something in Cody's ear. "You really need to come home, dude. Mom and dad are both worried sick about you."

"Why would I bother? I mean it's not like that's going to change anything." Cody replies.

What would Cody mean by saying that? I wonder to myself, as I calmly climb the staircase.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sitting on our bed, in the dimly lit bedroom, just thinking to myself. This may well be my last night alive. Hell, this could be the last day of my pack as I know it, and not to mention Luka's, if we don't get him out by tomorrow. I'm so scared now thinking about it, my appetite has vanished.

I hear footsteps coming towards the room. My aunt's head pops into the doorway, and I can tell from her watering eyes, sniffling, and reddish pink cheeks that she's been crying. But about what?

"What's the matter, Aunt Sherry?"

She sniffles again. "I'll let Chris tell you in a second." A moment later, someone connects the mind link.

"Hello again, Chris. Hey, my aunt just came by and told me you wanted to tell me something."

"I'll tell you in a bit. In the meantime there's someone here who really wants to speak to you, try it again," Chris says right before the line goes dead.

It takes a moment or two but the line reconnects, however this time it's much, much weaker. "Sophie," the voice on the other end croaks. The sound comes over the link like radio static. I know instantly who the voice belongs to, though I don't want to believe it. But by the way my heart's thumping, I can't deny it.

"Luka," I say, pausing for a moment to get control of my emotions, "hi, how are you holding up over there?"

"Not so good, Sophie." I can tell he's straining to keep the connection.

"Look, Baby, we're coming to free you and bring you back home, just hold on a bit longer," I reply.

"When?" Luka asks me simply.

I'm about to tell him the exact time, when I stop myself. I don't know if Ace is listening in on this conversation between us.

"Soon."

"Sophie. If you don't get here in time and this ends up being the last time I ever talk to you, there's something that I want you to know," Luka says, straining even harder and harder to make the connection.

"You know I don't like to hear you talk like that, Luka. But what is it?"

"I love you, Sophie Jane."

Suddenly, I hear Luka let out a large scream and then the line goes dead. Chris picks up the line again a few seconds later.

"Chris. What's going on with Luka? Does this have anything to do with why my Aunt was crying before?"

"Hold on. Let's talk outside. Luka, try to get some rest. I don't think Ace is coming back in here tonight."

The link goes silent for a while, but it doesn't go dead. I hear the sound of slight sniffling, and the line comes alive again. It's Chris. "Sophie. Ace burned his scalp before I was able to get to him."

Shock runs through me and my heart pounds inside my chest. "Was it because he found out you are working for us?"

"No. I doubt it. Anyway, I spent all of today taking care of his burns as best as I could. By the time I was done it was dark, so I mind linked your Aunt and told her what had happened. Then, while I waited for her to tell you, Luka overheard that I was going to be talking to you, and he started begging me to let him speak to you. So I decided to let him say what he wanted to say, before I told you what was going on."

"Why did Luka scream right before he cut the connection?" I ask him.

"He didn't cut the connection. It faded. Luka was straining so hard to keep that connection that the burns on his knees ripped open. I've got to go, Sophie. See you tomorrow." The link goes dead again.

"Hey, I brought you some dinner if you want it." My aunt comes back in the room, carrying a plate of food.

"Oh, no thanks, Aunt Sherry. I'm not hungry."

"Well, that's not your only problem, is it?" my aunt says chuckling slightly as she walks over and puts the plate on my bedside table. "So tell me, Pumpkin, what's wrong?" She then says as she sits down on my side of the bed and puts her arm around my shoulder.

'Oh, nothing, it's just... in the meeting today, Elliot said he would bring Luka home even if it was the last thing he ever did."

"So?" She replies arching her eyebrows.

"So what if we do carry Luka home, in a body bag? Or what if it's the other way around. What if I'm the one carrying Luka home, and Elliot's the one who's being carried home in the body bag..."

She then holds me close, "Then at least they would both still be carried back and laid to rest at home, but Sophie, that's not going to happen. We're going to rescue him tomorrow, I just know it."

"And what if we don't?" I ask her.

"Now dear, don't think about that anymore tonight. Look. I may not know whether or not Luka's coming back dead or alive, but I do know what will help you," she says slowly getting up from the bed.

"What is it?"

"It's your dinner," replies my aunt. "Think about it, Sophie. You haven't eaten anything in three days. You're starving yourself. Your body is getting weaker and weaker. If you eat your dinner the night before the rescue, you'll have a much better chance of getting Luka back alive." She picks the plate of food up from the bedside table and hands it to me.

I gently take it from her. "Thanks," I say softly.

"It's rice and with your smoked sausage to the side, just how you like it," my aunt says, watching me chew.

"Well, thanks again, I'm feeling better already" I tell her as I finish chewing what's in my mouth and swallow it down.

"See? I told you that your dinner would make you feel better. Well, that and a good night sleep" My ant turns around to go downstairs, but when she gets to the doorway, I stop her.

"Don't expect me to take a shower now. I'll take one when I know that Luka's safe."

"I knew you would say that. Good night. I love you, Little Sophie."

"Good night to you as well. Love you too, Aunt Sherry," I reply, as she quietly closes the door.

I spend the next hour eating my food and cleaning my plate. After I'm finished I slide my plate onto my bedside table. I set my alarm and lie back in bed. Tomorrow's going to be a busy day, I think to myself, before I slowly fall asleep.

==================================

There it is my lovely Emerald Shifters a short chapter right before the rescue, we hope you guys like it, after all this chapter only took us three days to write.

Sorry it was such a short chapter

And to all of our new Emerald Shifters please be sure to keep reading, because we like to watch the numbers go up. Vote, because we love the support. Comment, so that you can give your opinion, and if you find any mistakes, feel free to let us know. Add it to your reading list and library, to stay updated. And share it, to get it out there, Bye guys