Chapter 35 Pity and A Bit Of Kindness

Previously, on His Alpha Her Omega   

Keith and Cody both stand up and start walking towards the door, but then Cody stops and looks at me, "Oh, and hey Alpha. You sent Ace a really strong message when Jake and duke got back with Luka."

"Oh yea, how so?"

"The wound you gave Duke when you were in the meadow biting into his leg went gangrenous a few days later and his leg had to be amputated. You got your mate back, but Duke lost his leg." Cody and Keith exit the room.

You can't escape karma, I think to myself, as I open the door to go check up on my fellow pack mates.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After I'm done checking up on everybody, I walk into the Alpha's private waiting room. Its soft, dark blue walls, two big leather couches, and comfy chairs greet me as I enter. Cody is lying on the couch furthest away from the window. My aunt had moved him in here for the night, and gave him a dark gray fleece blanket, the same shade of gray as Keith's fur in wolf form. "Hey, how are you holding up?" I ask him softly, as I slowly walk over.

"Pretty good. It's better than the place I had been sleeping. How did Luka cope?"

I sit down on an empty chair next to the sofa. "He was out there for three years before I found him. He just got used to it, that's all."

"Yes, I suppose you're right," Cody says.

I glance around the room. "Cody, where's your brother?"

"He's just outside getting some fresh air" Cody replies. He smiles at me.

"What? Before you make a move on me Cody Grim, you do remember I have a mate, right?" I ask giving him a funny look.

"No, Alpha. That wasn't what I was thinking about. I was thinking about something else."

"Oh well then, in that case, what?"

"Oh, it's just that all this is reminding me of the first one I did for Luka, although he probably doesn't know I did it," Cody tells me.

I slightly shift my position on the chair. "You did an act of kindness for Luka?" He nods.

I get up off the chair and walk over to the couch. Sitting down, I ask him, "When, what, where?"

"Did Luka tell you about the 'prank' we pulled on him last winter?" He makes the quotation mark motion with his fingers.

"Yes, though judging by what you just told me, I'm guessing it wasn't a prank."

"No, it was all our parents' idea. We just went along with it to avoid being punished," he replies, shaking his head. "I'll spare you the story of how our parent's thought up of the prank, but moving on. Mom and Dad bought the ticket to the bath house and handed it to Keith, We were to wait until we knew that Luka was behind us. Then Dad gave Keith the cue over the mind link to drop the ticket. Mom and Dad also paid a few people to be in the bath house, to laugh at Luka when he ran out of the shower stall. After Dad poured the ice water on Luka and a moment before he came running out, Dad tossed Keith the camera and told him to take a photo."

"So, what was your random act of kindness during all of this?"

"I'm getting there. After everyone had left, I went back inside the bath house, I don't know why I did. I looked over to Luka's stall. Lying on the floor were Luka's thin clothes. Well, to him, they were clothes, to me they were rags. I walked over and picked them up. I knew that night was going to be the coldest one of the year. I've always had the ability to detect bad weather. I can't see it coming, but I can feel it through my fur. I didn't want to do Mom and Dad's dirty work that night, so I begged them not to, I told them any other night would be fine. When I was holding Luka's clothes, in my mind I thought for sure that if I didn't give those back to Luka somehow he was going to die, so while my parents weren't looking, I snuck out of the bath house and headed towards Luka's bench. While I was running, I tucked Luka's clothes under my shirt in an attempt to try to keep them a little warm. I figured that Luka was going to get sick anyway, but it would at least be a little more comfortable if he had his clothes. When I approached the bench I thought about waking Luka up and giving them back to him personally, but then I realized that was probably not the best solution. As quietly as I could, I folded the clothes neatly and set them down on the top of the bench, then just before I ran off I knocked on the bench a few times. As I took off I looked over my shoulder. The last thing I saw that night was Luka reaching up to get his clothes."