firelight and starlight

This one-shot is by luROAR on deviantart.

The room was lit only by firelight and the starlight peeking through the curtains. It was rather dim and the atmosphere felt comforting. The fire suddenly crackled and spat sparks as the starlight grew brighter than before. It was if they were having a conversation. The flame then wavered in the draught with anger, the stars replying with its light becoming dim. The room abruptly became tense and uncomfortable.They weren't in fact having a conversation. They were arguing. The fire sitting in the fireplace roared. It was angered. The starlight through the thin curtains shifted its brightness to dim and bright. It was upset.

He stared in between the two. The curtain and the fireplace. They were at it again, they always did this. Their attitude didn't please him at all. Hissing, he glare at the flame before the stars slightly shown behind the curtain. "Stop it." He scolded, shaking his head side to side. They were silent for a while as if they were staring at him. He nodded his head in satisfaction, "I don't like it when you fight."

There was a moment of silence. The soft crackle of the flames entered his ears. He softly smiled. His friends were apologizing. He glanced towards the stars. They were brightened once more. He flash a fanged grin, his dark eyes sparkling with happiness, "You're friends now?" They responded in their own ways. He practically jumped up and down on the spot, "Hooray!"

The flame then became dim. He looked towards it. It was becoming dimmer and dimmer. He stared, perplexed. The fire never showed this part of it. It was mostly boastful and cheerful and would do anything to protect starlight. But now it was dim. He blinked. No way.. was it..?

Bashful?

No. Flame was never bashful. That was always starlight whenever it did something stupid or dense to it. But why was flame bashful? He looked over towards starlight. His eyes widened. It was brighter than before. Ever before. Shining proudly and cheekily. His mouth twitched into a small smile. Starlight was teasing flame. They had switched spots. Although, flame was bashful. Did it understand what starlight was doing? What was starlight doing? Teasing... but in which way?

He suddenly heard small murmurs in the distance and a faint laugh. They were close. He glanced at the stars. They were even brighter. It was laughing. Smiling, his eyes shifted to the fire. A faint yell was heard. The dimming fire roared and biggered. He grinned cheekily. How cute. He could tell flame was blushing.

The faint murmurs were becoming louder and louder. The flame and stars becoming brighter and brighter. Finally the sound of feet stepping were heard at the door. He turned towards it. It swung open. And just as it did the stars and flame dimmed down to its usual brightness.

Flame and starlight stood at the door. Flame grinned and stretched his arms out.

"Happy!"

The small cat hopped off the couch and marched over towards his friends. He jumped into Flames' arms. Flame chuckled and gave him a small pat, "How have you been?"

He answered with a purr. Flame grinned. Starlight, behind him, sighed and walked in, shutting the door with her foot. She kicked off her shoes and collapsed on the couch, "Natsu, why do you have so much energy? I'm so tired!"

Happy glanced at the stars. They dimmed in agony.

Natsu rolled his eyes and sat down beside her, placing his cat beside him, "Jeez, Luce. We just went out to eat."

The flame crackled with amusement.

"But stilllllll!"

The stars dimmed even more.

Lucy suddenly gasped, sprung up and grabbed her boyfriend by his shoulders, "Natsu! Tomorrow we're going on a double date with Levy-chan and Gajeel!"

The stars flashed a wonderful bright light with glee.

Happy snickered.

The fire dimmed as Natsu groaned, "But we just went out with, Stripper!"

"Oh well~" Lucy sang.

Happy's tail swayed side to side. His friends resembled funny things.

Words: 677