vulnerable

This one-shot is by Poke-lover88 on deviantart

Lucy stared at the ceiling. She stared... and stared, and stared. It all felt too... weird.

It was quiet. Never was it ever quiet in her apartment, especially not in the evening. She could hear everything. The crickets chirping outside, the few lingering drops on the shower faucet dripping into the tub, the wind lightly rattling the window panes, even her own breathing.

Lucy's eye twitched and she flopped over in her bed and onto her side, placing an elbow beneath her head as she stared at the empty and dark kitchen. It felt surreal.

She'd whined and complained about Natsu spending the night in her apartment so many times she'd lost count. She'd kicked him out by force, she'd begged him, she'd found him other places to stay and even called him out on having his own bed, which -after she'd sat down on it. Not that she'd admit she'd taken the time to sit on his bed. No one would ever know about that- was actually more comfortable than her own. But no matter what she did, he'd show up at her window night after night, busting right in while she was in another room and crawling in to sleep under the covers, Happy snoring at his side.

She'd hated it. She'd complained to everyone about it, even going as far as asking for their help in banishing the "Natsu infestation" that seemed to be raging in her household. But he always came back. He was stubborn and hard-headed and absolutely determined to sleep with her every night.

She sometimes wondered if he even realized she'd told him to leave. He'd just laugh and roll over and snore louder and then come back the next night and do it all again. They'd slipped into a very deadly spiral and before she'd known it, it'd become routine.

Not that she liked it.

She thought maybe she should call herself stupid for never thinking of locking the window. She'd actually never done it before, and the night she thought of the ingenious idea she felt like banging her head against the door. How had she never thought of it before?

And so, stealthily and sneakily she'd crept over to her window when the sun was still shining, and locked it. She'd snickered to herself and dusted her hands off, and then she'd waited.

Sure enough the minute the sun dipped beneath the horizon there was a loud thump outside followed by an even louder- BANG!

Lucy had been in the kitchen, wiping off the counter after her dinner and had jumped a mile, squealing loudly and quickly searching for the noise. She'd found it a second later as she saw Natsu's face completely squished against the window, his eyes bulging and a red mark forming on his forehead.

He'd peeled himself off of the glass painfully, whining out a very exaggerated, "Owwwww~."

She'd stared at Natsu as he sat somehow perched on the very small windowsill she had, Happy floating around behind him, as he held a hand to his forehead and whined pitifully to himself. So the locked window had worked.

She quickly threw the rag she was holding into the sink, her eyes still glued to her partner who was now looking the window up and down with a very offended look on his face, as if the window had purposefully hit him. The large red mark on his forehead was swelling and Natsu puffed out his cheeks in annoyance.

Lucy stared. He still hadn't noticed her watching him, nor had he realized that the window was locked.

Natsu placed his hands on the window and pushed. Nothing. He stared at it incredulously for a second before heaving against it harder. It still didn't budge. He heaved and huffed and puffed and pushed, his feet sliding on the windowsill and his face turning red with effort. It didn't give an inch.