shadows

This one-shot is by Gravity-chan on fanfiction.net

Rated T for blood and violence. And kissing? xD
_________________________________________
Natsu and Lucy were off on another job. The job, surprisingly, was right outside Magnolia, and offered ample pay. Behind them walked Erza and Gray, the other members of their team, and Happy was perched on Natsu's shoulder. Lucy stretched her arms, taking a deep breath of the fresh air. "Wow, it's beautiful out today!" she exclaimed.

"Aye!" Happy agreed. "If we weren't on a job, I would go fishing!"

"Are fish all you every think about?" Gray muttered, clasping his hands behind his head with a bored expression on his face. He turned to Erza. "Where is this place anyway?" he asked.

Erza shrugged. "Not too far," she answered. "Our job is to find and apprehend a man called 'Shadow'. Why he is called this, I do not know."

"How are we supposed to do that?" Lucy complained. "We don't know who this guy is, what he looks like, or how to find him!"

Natsu grinned. "We won't know until we try!" he exclaimed, enthusiastic as ever.

Lucy sighed. "Fine, whatever," she grumbled.

Ater a few minuted of walking, the team finally reached their destination; Evenore manor. A man named Jin Evenore was supposed to meet them there and tell them about their mission. Erza walked up to the heavy gate of the manor and was greeted by a mechanical voice. "Welcome to Evenore manor, how may I help you?" a woman's voice asked through a speaker at the side of the gate.

"My name is Erza Scarlet of the Fairy Tail guild," Erza answered. "Me and my teammates are here about the job Master Evenore posted."

"Of course, wait just one moment," the woman replied, and there was a soft sound, signaling the connection had been severed. Lucy and Gray exchanged a confused glance, and Lucy jumped when the doors of the manor opened with a loud metallic creak. Without waiting for an invite, Erza walked right in, beckoning for the others to follow her.

"Alright!" Natsu cheered, punching the air with his fist. A silly-looking grin was plastered on his face, and Lucy rolled her eyes. Sometimes, natsu was so dense it gave her a headache. I suppose it's my fault for being his friend in the first place, she thought, but she smiled. Sure, he was a little rough around the edges; he was arrogant, senseless and stupid, but he had gotten her out of many a bad situation before. She sighed lightly, following Erza inside the courtyard. As they approached the actual door of Evenore Mansion, they were greeted by a tall, lanky man dressed in a black suit, most likely a butler.

The man bowed to the four as they approached. "Master Evenore is waiting for you in his study," he said. "Follow me, I will take you there." Without another word, the man turned, leading the group inside. He led them to a large room lined with bookcases, in teh middle of which was set a large square glass table and three couches. The butler paused at the entrance of the room, bowing deeply. "The four wizards from Fairy Tail have arrived, master," he announced, straightening up again.

Happy frowned. "What about me? Am I not considered a wizard?" he complained.

Natsu patted Happy's head and he sighed, quieting down again.

A somewhat short, rather chubby man in expensive-looking clothes stood from the couch opposite the door, greeting the five with a friendly smile. "Welcome, wizards," he greeted. "Come, sit, we have much to discuss."

Lucy let out a deep breath of air. She and her friends were on the move again, but at least they knew the specifics of their mission now. A group of thugs led by Shadow had broken into Evenore manor and stolen the manor's most precious treasure, a small golden pendant on a silver chain, adorned with a bright red stone. The pendant, Jin had said, was infinitely valuable to him, a last parting gift from his late mother. It was their job to apprehend Shadow and collect the pendant.