first child

This one-shot is made by wendyhamlet on tumblr

Natsu flinched and chewed at his bottom lip as more screams sounded from behind the door, he clenched and unclenched his fist as he paced back and forth frantically.
"Geez, would ya stop it? You're making me sick pacing around like that." Gray said, crossing his arms as he slouched in a chair.
"Baby...baby...baby..." Natsu muttered, that seeming to be the only word capable of coming out of his mouth at the moment.
Gray rolled his eyes. "Yes, Lucy is having a baby, your baby."
"My baby."
"Yes, your first child, this is a good thing, flame brain."
Natsu stopped, turned to look at Gray, eyes impossibly wide, expression somehow panicked and blank at the same time. "Baby."
Gray sighed and stood up. "You should be in there with her."
Natsu's eyes widened even further. "Wh-what?"
Gray placed his hand on his friend's shoulder. "Listen, I know what you're going through right now. When Juvia and I had Sterling, I was a mess. It's pretty terrifying, right?"
Natsu nodded dumbly.
"Right, but it's also exciting. So pull yourself together, go in there, hold your wife's hand, and be there when your baby is born."
Natsu straightened up, took a deep breath, and then flashed Gray a grin. "Thanks."
Gray nodded. "Now get in there, dad."
Natsu grinned giddily and walked into the room. The smile quickly left his face however as another ear splitting scream slammed against his eardrums. He panicked, and was about to bolt out of the room when Lucy spotted him, her skin was slick with sweat, her hair clinging to her face and neck from it, eyes wide in pain. "Natsu!"
That's all it took, he was at her side in an instant, answering her desperate plea for him. "I'm here, Luce. Here, take my hand." He bit back a curse as she seized his hand, nearly crushing it.
"I-I'm scared Natsu..." She whimpered, tears streaming down her cheeks.
He pressed his forehead against her temple and put his arm around her shoulders. "I'm here with you Lucy, there's nothing to be scared of."
She inhaled shakily and then nodded, pulling strength from her friend, partner, and husband. "Right...I can do this."
The doctor smiled and raised her eyebrows questioningly. "Ready? It's time to push."
Natsu climbed onto the bed behind her, pulling her back against him, he held onto both of her hands tightly and kissed her ear. "I love you."
She clung to his hands for dear life, pressing back against him as her contractions grew worse and worse. She was sure her screams were going to make him go deaf, but there was nothing she could do to stop them.
He stayed with her through it all, whispering words of encouragement the whole time.
Finally she gave one final scream, and fell limply into his arms. He kissed her cheek, smiling proudly. "You did great, Lucy."
She smiled weakly. Then her eyes flew open, and both of their attention was drawn to the doctor, who was holding a squirming bundle in her arms. She beamed and walked over to them.
"Congratulations, meet your daughter."
Lucy accepted the bundle, all the pain and suffering worth it as she looked down at her first child.
"L-look, Natsu...it's our daughter." She said, tears spilling onto her cheeks as she gently ran her finger down the baby's soft cheek. She had soft golden hair like her mother, the tiny locks curling slightly. Yawning widely, she squirmed and then opened her eyes, revealing small pupils dark like her father.
"She...she's beautiful." Natsu said in an awed voice, his eyes shining as he stared down at her. "Just like her mom."
Lucy smiled and held the baby out to him. "Here."
Natsu looked panicked, backing away quickly. "Wh-what? I can't hold her."
Lucy laughed. "Why not? She is your daughter after all."
Natsu shook his head. "I can't...I-I'll break her."
Lucy grabbed his hand, and slowly pulled him back before placing the baby into his arms. "You're not going to break her."
Natsu stared down at the baby in his arms, slowly relaxing as he cradled her tiny body. "Hey there, I'm your papa."
The baby stared up at him with wide eyes, and then grabbed onto his finger. Letting out a few baby noises when she did.
Natsu laughed. "Picking a fight already? You're awfully strong, little one, aren't you?" He looked up at Lucy, eyes shining. "We have a daughter, Lucy."
She smiled at his joy. "Yes we do. What are we going to name her?"
Natsu grinned. "Let's call her, Nashi."
"Nashi..." Lucy said slowly, testing the name. "I love it."
Natsu sat on the bed beside Lucy and they held their first child together, reveling in the joy of being parents. Natsu turned Lucy's head and placed a kiss against her lips. "We're awesome."
Lucy laughed as the door opened, and several curious heads poked in. Noticing them, she motioned for them to come in. "Come meet, Nashi everyone."

Words: 856

  Sunsetsymphony signing off