Elle Ryn

It was the last day of summer before school started, and I wasn't too excited.

But, my street always seems to have something planned for it, so that's pretty exciting.

We have a bunch of water games, each adult orders a pizza if they're able to, and we end it all with an ice cream social.

I'm 10 at the moment, and even though some kids my age find it a little boring now, I still love the stuff we do on the last day of summer.

The stuff doesn't start until 4, and I had woken up at 11 am.

What? It's last day I can do it.

My friend Ruby Zhang was coming over after lunch, and we were going to hang out until the festivities started.

Ruby lives a few houses down from me, with her parents Frank and Hazel, and her two siblings.

I sat myself up, got myself ready for the day, and got lunch for myself, since I'd already missed breakfast.

I made myself a cheese sandwich and got some water. I ate quickly, so I would have time to straighten up before Ruby came.

Once that was finished, there was a knock on the door.

I rush to the door, and standing there is Ruby and her mom, Hazel.

Her mom and my mom were in charge of the whole thing, so they were just planning out where everything would go.

Ruby and I go up to my room, while Mrs. Zhang goes into the basement, since that's where my mom and her were going to do their planning.

"What teacher do you have?" She asks. "I got Mrs. Janis."

"Me too!" I say excitedly. "But now Cara probably won't be in our class."

"But luckily we can all sit together on the bus." Ruby says.

"True." I respond.

"So what do you want to do?" She asks.

"Well, my mom said we can go out into the backyard." I reply.

"Let's go outside then!" Ruby says in a funny voice.

We both laugh and we head down the stairs and outside.

The backyard has a treehouse, a tire swing on a sturdy tree, and some other random things that you find in a backyard.

Ruby climbs up into the treehouse, and I follow.

We get into the house part and sit down.

"So did you hear what happened with Ari?" I ask Ruby.

"No, what?" She responds, interested.

"Apparently she's 'dating' Ashton, the guy who would pick his nose and eat it everyday of 3rd grade." I explain.

"Oh gosh." Ruby says.

A minute of awkward silence followed that, then we bursted out laughing after it.

"So how are your siblings?" I ask.

"Good. Annoying, but good." She responds.

Before anymore conversation could happen, I heard my mom calling us.

We quickly climb down the ladder, and go to where my mom was standing with Ruby's mom.

"What do you need, Mom?" I ask.

"We were wondering if you could help set up with us." Ruby's mom says.

Ruby and I make eye contact. "Sure."

The four of us walk around to the front, and my mom hand Ruby and me some streamers and some tape. They'd already set up some of the big things.

We go over to the ice cream table and put up some streamers.

After a while, we'd finished streamer-fying the stuff, taken a bathroom break, watched an episode of Steven Universe and Gravity Falls, changed into some bathing suits (I had to lend Ruby on, since she'd forgotten one) and helped set up the pizza table.

By that time, it was time for the stuff to start.

The kids on our street started walking towards the area where we'd had it all set up.

It was a fun party-thing.

Ruby and I totally won one of the water fights, so the little kids squirted us with a hose.

The pizza was from an awesome pizza place, so that was good. And delicious.

People had brought ice cream and toppings, so I had chocolate ice cream with gummy bears and crushed up cookies.

In the end, it was all really really fun.

But ugh, school starts tomorrow.

Hi!

Sorry I haven't updated, school started a week before usually for me, so I've had homework and such. I also went to a Twenty Øne Pilots concert recently.

I wrote this chapter to relive the day before school starts for me. We have an ice cream social.

Anyways, have a good school year if you're in school!

But ugh, school starts tomorrow.

-Meg