Theo Caren

Here I am, sitting in study hall, when I see a girl throw a pigeon into the window right next to me.

It didn't even make a noise, which makes no sense. Then, the girl picked it up again and kept throwing it until it was dead.

Why am I the only one who ever sees it?

The pigeon-thrower had brown hair and brown eyes. She looked aggressive, both when she was throwing the pigeon or just standing regularly. It was intimidating.

I had my phone out and snapped a quick picture. Hey, if you saw someone throw a pigeon, wouldn't you?

I looked through my contacts to someone who would find this interesting. I looked until I found my friend, Melanie. She always found this kind of stuff funny.

Melanie went to another school, but we texted a lot. We hadn't seen each other in person much, except for one time when we bumped into each other at the grocery store. We had started texting because of mutual friends.

I sent her the picture, and waited for a response.

I worked on my homework until he bell rang, and checked my phone.

"I've seen the pigeon thrower too!" The message from Melanie read. "By the way, do. you want to meet up at the library today?"

I pondered for a moment. This would be the first time actually hanging out, and I'd be lying if I wasn't nervous. I'd been texting with a person for nearly 6 months, and it was going to weird to have our first real interaction only today.

I decided to do it. I texted back a 'thumbs-up' emoji, and she said to meet her at the library in half an hour.

I hurried home, since I lived super close to the school. I grabbed some money and my library card, and charged up my phone until I had to go.

As I was walking to the library, I saw the pigeon girl again, but instead she was kicking a chicken.

What did this girl have against birds?

I kept walking until I got to the library.

I headed into the teen center they had, which had computers, books, and even some video game consoles. It was pretty cool.

I looked around until I saw the person I was looking for. The only reason I knew what she looked like was because we follow each other on Instagram too.

I walked over. She was reading a book about birds and had her earbuds in. The book was open to a page about pigeons. I stood behind her.

"Thank god you're here," she said, which startled me. "I didn't think I could read this page again."

We both laughed, and a kid shushed us. I sat down next to Melanie, and she closed her book.

There was an awkward silence. I wasn't super surprised, though. We were meeting for the first time. Luckily, we didn't have to sit awkwardly for too long. We heard the pigeon girl outside of the library. I made direct eye contact, and she grabbed up her backpack and book as we rushed out.

The girl was on the playground, still fighting the pigeons. We jogged up to her, and watched as she punched a hawk straight in the face. This was getting weird.

"Hello?" I called out, then was jabbed in the stomach by Melanie.

"What was that for, Mel?" I asked.

She looked surprised by me calling her Mel, but brushed it off. "We can't just yell at a girl who's fighting a bird. It's rude."

I gave her a wide eyed look. She just gave me an odd smile.

"What are you guys doing?" we heard behind us, causing us both to leap up.

We turned around, and there stood the pigeon girl.

"Nothing. Why are you fighting birds?" I asked, and Melanie stepped on my foot.

"They're not actually birds." She said, then gestured to Melanie's book. "Have you even read that?"

"I only got through about the first page." Melanie admitted.

"Check page 183." She instructed.

Melanie opened the book to the page, and on there was a drawing of an orb of glowing light.

"Why is there a drawing of an orb in a bird book?" I questioned.

"Check the title page." Pigeon girl instructed.

On it, it had the normal title of "Birds", but in small text underneath it, read "And Other Tricks of the Mist."

"My name's Clarisse, and I need to talk to you guys about something." The girl said.

Oh my gods, I haven't updated this in forever. I'm so sorry! I've had school and other obligations, and I also fell out of love with fanfic writing for a while. I'm gonna attempt to write more, but please be patient with me. I love you guys so much! I'm hopefully gonna write a part 2 to this!

  Hey, if you saw someone throw a pigeon, wouldn't you? 

-Meg