Marcus Lucien

I trudged through the hallway, tired. I never seemed to get enough sleep, no matter how early I went to bed.

The only thing I was really looking forward to was getting to hang out with my friends at the end of the day, which was only a 90 minute block away.

I trudged to the math hall, headed to my Algebra 2 class. My teacher was nice, and I'm good at Algebra, but I just get bored really easily sometimes.

I sat at my seat in the back of the classroom once I entered, rolling my eyes when one of the annoying freshmen kids sat next to me. Sure, it was out of his control as to where he sits because of assigned seating, but it didn't annoy me any less. Especially since I was a sophomore who did want to have to live with both annoying freshmen and sophomores in this class.

"Today, we'll be doing review worksheets for the test." The teacher said, smiling. "But first, we have a new student."

She motioned to a boy next to her. He had brown hair, blue eyes, and lots of acne that covered his face.

"This is Lester Papadopoulos." The teacher says, carefully reading the last name.

"My friends call me Apollo." Lester was quick to say, and he had a slight voice crack when saying it.

"Ok then." The teacher said, writing that down on what I guessed was her attendance sheet, then pointed to the open seat to the right of me. "You can sit there."

I rolled my eyes, just waiting for the worksheets to be brought around so I could start working on them. The sooner I start, the sooner I finish.

"Psst!" I hear from my right.

I barely turn my head. "What, Lester?"

"I said my name's Apollo." He said, with yet another voice crack. "So what are these worksheets on?"

"The quadratic formula and trinomials." I whisper, rolling my eyes.

"I'm not too good at those." Apollo said, shrugging. "Could you help me out?"

"Just a reminder, you're allowed to work in groups, as long as you keep working and don't just chat!" The teacher announces to the class.

"Great." I mutter, rolling my eyes.

The teacher gives me my worksheets. There were 4 to work on.

Apollo moves closer.

"Can you grab a couple of calculators for us to use?" I ask him.

If I had to work with him, he could at least get the calculators.

"So do you know the quadratic formula?" I ask him.

He recites it.

"You looked at the board, didn't you?" I ask him.

"Yep." He said with a mischievous grin.

"You're a piece of work." I say.

"Thanks." He replied, rolling his eyes. "My dad said the same thing. Then he sent me to school. I mean, what kind of person is he? I can learn stuff all by myself. I'm the smartest person I know! Stupid dad!"

Suddenly, there was a crackle of thunder, practically shaking the room. It wasn't even raining. I look over at Apollo. He looks a bit spoiled by the incident.

"What?" I said, sarcastically. "Was that your dad?"

He chuckles nervously. "What? No! What are you talking about?"

I shake my head. "Also, you say you're the smartest person you know, but you can't even remember the quadratic formula. Maybe your dad made the right decision sending you to school."