Conor Ness

Here I sit, listening to 'This Is Gospel' by Panic! At The Disco before school starts.

Cliche, am I right? I just love the song. My god, Brendon Urie is so amazing, you can't even begin describe it.

Anyways, I'm a 28 year old, 5th grade teacher.

Bet you weren't expecting that.

Continuing on, today was career day. There were 5 teachers, and there were 5 speakers. They would rotate around to each classroom and give a 20 minute presentation.

There was an architect, an artist, a mechanic, a doctor, and an animal expert.

Our schedule was:

Architect

Mechanic

Doctor

Artist

Animal Expert

My class was excited, especially for the animal expert. We had checked with the school, and the animal expert was bringing in a bird and a surprise animal.

After attendance was taken, the first presenter came in.

 She introduced herself as Mrs. Annabeth Jackson. She talked about what kind of degree she had to get for the particular job she had, interesting facts, showed pictures of structures she'd helped design, and answered questions. She also had a 3D model of a structure she'd help to design.

Her 20 minutes had finished, so she went to the next classroom and the mechanic came in.

He introduced himself as Mr. Leo Valdez. He talked about what degree he had to get for his particular job, fun facts, showed the class the website for his auto repair shop, and answered questions. He also brought a smaller version of an engine he usually worked with, and handed out little keychains.

His 20 minutes were over so he moved on to the next rotation. The doctor came in after him.

He introduced himself as Mr. Will Solace-di Angelo. He talked about medical school and his degree, interesting things about his job, talked about the hospital he worked at, and answered questions. He handed out little goody bags with first aid kits, stickers, and a magnet.

His 20 minutes finished up, he left, and the artist came in.

She introduced herself as Mrs. Hazel Zhang. She talked about art school and the type of degree that she had, fun things about her job, showed a website of a gallery that featured some of her artwork, and answered questions. She also had brought in one of her paintings, which was of a Greek battleship.

Her 20 minutes were done, she went to her last classroom, and the animal expert came in.

He introduced himself as Mr. Frank Zhang. He put two objects on a table in the front of the room. One was the birdcage, and the other was a covered crate looking thing.

He talked about his degree he had for his job, fun facts, showed a video of him at his work with a bunch of animals (while joking about himself practically being some of the animals), and answered questions.

He showed the class his parrot, the bird he'd brought with him. It was named Perry, which was 'totally unexpected'. He showed what the parrot could do, then put it back in it's cage.

He put on a glove, and from the crate, he took out a large iguana. The whole class was amazed. He asked me to stand next to him with hand sanitizer, and let each kid touch the iguana. 

He put the iguana back, and had to leave the room after his 20 minutes. 

I gave the class a few minutes to calm down after all the fun of career day, then had them write about their favorite speaker and why that person was their favorite. For a bonus, they could write about a career they wished could've been part of career day and why they wanted that career to be part of it.

It was a pretty good day.

Hi!

Sorry it's been so long since I've updated, blame school. Also, sorry for a short chapter!

My school had career day recently, so I got inspired to write this. In my career day, I heard from someone who works at the county's school offices, a musician, a recruiter, a state senator, a meteorologist, and a software guy.

The recruiter was cool, and I got to be a 'band teacher'. I also knew her, so that was cool too.

Comment chapter ideas please!

He put on a glove, and from the crate, he took out a large iguana  

-Meg