Chapter 26

*Unedited* 

"MADHU!!!"

They all screamed. It was total chaos. Students were running in all directions. Khushi was sobbing while Arnav was finding it difficult to react. Rishab was numb with a lifeless Madhu in his arms.  

Arnav: Rishab?

Suddenly the reality hit Rishab and he realized that she was not talking to him. Hell, she was not even responding!!! He lightly touched her face and gently tapped her cheek.

Rishab: Madhu? 

Khushi : (Crying) Madhu get up!! Arnav do something.

Arnav was already on the phone with an ambulance. Then suddenly he ran towards his car.

Rishab: Madhu I know you are listening to me. Please say something.

Khushi : (Who was crying heavily by now) Madhu!!! Madhu, please get up!! (She tried rubbing her hands but to no avail.)

With a very heavy heart, Rishab bent forward and lifted her wrist to his ear. He felt her feeble pulse dying with time.

Just then Arnav came back with his car and he quickly flung open the door.

Arnav : GET MADHU INSIDE!!! WE DON'T HAVE TIME TO WASTE, RISHAB!! HURRY!!!

Rishab lifted her up and quickly got inside. Khushi hurriedly rushed to the front seat and they drove off. For the first time, Arnav was driving recklessly as he didn't want to lose the girl who was like a sister to him just like he lost his parents. Khushi frantically called her father and informed them about the accident. They were also on their way to the hospital. 

While Rishab was in the back seat with a limp Madhu in his arms and blood all over his shirt. He felt his tears dropping on her face and he quickly wiped them. Rishab was not the one to cry but right now all he wanted was for his Madhu to be okay.

Rishab: Don't worry Madhu. I'll never let anything happen to you.

Soon they reached the hospital and rushed Madhu inside. Her father was already inside along with Anjali and Samar. Her father completely broke down when he saw his daughter unconscious. Doctors began to operate on Madhu soon. Shamsher and Samar left to talk to the police. They wanted to nab the gunmen as soon as possible.

Rishab was near the OT door. Just then someone patted his shoulder. It was Anjali, the person he needed most at the moment. Ever since he lost his parents Anjali had been a mother and elder sister to him. She even used to favor him over her own brother. But before Anjali could say anything Rishab broke down like a child and hugged her.

Anjali : (Who was trying to control her tears but to no use) Don't cry Rishu. Madhu will be fine soon.

Rishab: All this happened just because of my Di.

Anjali: No!! Look at me!! (cups his face in her hand) Our Madhu is going to be perfectly fine and she is going to be your Kate in the play and you're going to fight with her. A lot. 

Rishab: I want her to fight with me.

Anjali: She will.

Anjali sat on the bench outside for visitors and Rishab sat on the floor with his head on her lap.

Khushi felt like pulling her hair. This day was not supposed to turn out like this. She was sobbing in a corner. Arnav came forward and knelt beside her. He started rubbing circles on her back and she subconsciously leaned toward him.

Khushi: We are best friends, and how come I didn't know that someone was going to hurt her?

Arnav: Ssshhh...

Khushi: She is my sister, my only friend!! I don't want to lose her!!

Arnav: We are not going to lose her!! Did you get that? She is going to be perfectly fine.

Then he put his arms around her and Khushi quietly laid her head on his shoulder. Soon Samar and Shamsher returned, but they had no clue about the attacker. 

Shamsher : (To Rishab and Arnav) Thank you so much. I will never be able to repay you for what you did for my daughter. You two should take a rest, please go home and freshen up. We all are here for Madhu.

Rishab: I am not leaving anytime soon.

Arnav: Yes uncle, me too.

Shamsher: Okay. (smiles) God bless you two.

About one and a half hours later the doctor came out.

Khushi: Madhu?

Doctor: Relax Ms. Gupta. The bullet has been removed but she is still very critical due to excessive bleeding. The patient is unconscious now and we need to keep her under observation for the next eight hours, only then we be sure about what happens next. I think you all should go home and have a rest. It's already 3 am and you need to be here in the morning.

After much persuasion, Rishab, Arnav, and Khushi agreed to go home along with Anjali. Anjali asked Shamsher to allow Khushi with them as it was not safe for her to be alone, so he complied.

When they reached Raizada mansion. Khushi went to Anjali's room with her. Anjali got her some of her clothes and then gave her a glass of milk. Though Khushi didn't want to sleep tiredness took over her and she fell asleep.

Anjali then went to Rishab's room. He was standing beside the window and staring at the moon. She knew what he was thinking of. Years back he lost his parents and always looked up to stars to talk to them whenever he was upset. She wanted to talk to him but decided that it was not the right time as many things were going on in his mind right now. Just then Arnav came and took the glass of milk from her. he quietly put a sleeping pill in it and handed it back to Anjali. She knew that he would be angry with them the next morning but he needed this to give his mind some rest.

Next morning

Rishab woke up with a heavy head. He immediately knew that his sister had probably given him a sleeping pill but he had no time to waste or argue. So he soon got ready and rushed to the hospital. Upon reaching the hospital he found that everyone was already there talking to the doctor.

Doctor: Madhu is stable now but still very weak. You need to take utmost care of her. And I would say that the hospital will take the best care of her, so she needs to stay in the hospital for at least ten days and her medication can be a little expensive...

Samar: You need not worry about that. You just provide her best facility.

Doctor: Sure. She will wake up in an hour. Then you can go to meet her but please only one or two people at a time.

With that, the doctor left. Khushi was beaming with joy and hugged Anjali tightly. She was literally dancing with joy and Arnav smiled to see everything falling into place. But Rishab still didn't know how to react. He was not sure of how he was going to face Madhu after all that she had been through was his fault. But the bottom line was that she was safe and he too was happy. Just not ready to face her yet.

"Shamsher uncle?"

Everyone turned around to find a pale-looking Trishna standing down the hospital corridor with bruises on her face and arms. 

PS: I LOVE Arnav <3