Chapter 44

*Unedited*

It's been ten minutes since Arnav was standing on his knees and waiting for a reply from Khushi's side. She was staring into the space with a shocked look all over her face. Arnav knew that she needed time since he dropped such a big 'Sorry' bomb but now his knees were really starting to ache. He hesitantly tapped her shoulder and she gasped loudly breaking out of her trance. She quickly stood up and fumbled with her purse.

Khushi: I-I have to l-leave.

Arnav understood that she needed time. So he simply nodded.

Arnav: It's dark outside. I'll drop you home. Just let me go get Kush.

With that, he left to bring back Kush. Khushi slowly turned around and stared at the cake. She looked around and hesitantly cut a small piece out of it. With tears streaming from her eyes she took a bite out of it. 

Khushi : (To herself) Is it too late Arnav?

Madhu was almost done with making dinner when she heard the doorbell ring. She opened the door to find her father standing there. She quickly stepped forward and took his office bag from his hands. Her father was looking anywhere but at her and it was killing her. 

Shamsher Malik: You talked to him?

Madhu: He's out of the country at the moment.

As her father started towards his room, Madhu grabbed his hand from behind.

Madhu: It's not your fault papa. Whatever happened that night was an accident. Please stop blaming yourself.

With a heavy sigh, her father nodded and patted her back.

The car stopped in front of Khushi's house and she stepped outside. Arnav opened the door for her but she refused to take his outstretched hand for help. Arnav stood there watching her leave. All he wanted was to run up to her and hug her tight. To never let her go again. With a heavy heart, he turned around, when he heard her speak.

Khushi: An apology can't mend everything. You can't erase the pain that I've been through for the last seven years nor you can erase the dark memories. Tell me honestly Arnav, what after this? What after I forgive you? Can we really go back to being friends more? Do you really think you are the right person for me? Just ask yourself. I know you will get the right answer this time.

And with that, she left him stumped.

Two weeks later

Rishab was back home but he was totally avoiding Madhu. She tried to contact him innumerable times only to be rejected by him every time. So Madhu had enough of him, so she decided to pay him a visit. With great courage, Madhu knocked on Rishab's room door.

Rishab: It's open. Put the coffee on the side table and leave.

Madhu entered and was greeted by a messy typical guy's room. Pizza boxes were lying on the floor with football posters adorning the walls. There was a desk in the corner with a lot of books. Madhu never took Rishab as a person who reads. There was a small cot in the corner with 'BINGO' written on it. Of course, Bingo slept in Rishab's room. Then there was a self full of scripts and storylines of various movies. A large sixty-inch LED graced the wall opposite the king-size bed. Further, there was a huge walk-in closet and an adjoining door that surely led to the washroom. In the end, there was a small attached balcony where Rishab spent his restless nights. 

Rishab was drinking when he felt someone's presence in the room so he turned around and walked over to his room only to be shocked by Madhu's presence. Couldn't she take a hint? He was avoiding her!! He still couldn't decide between his love for his parents and his love for Madhu. He still couldn't forget the day when he was waiting for his parents to come back home. He still couldn't forget the day when his classmates bullied him for being an orphan, and for bringing his sister (Anjali) to parent's teacher meetings. He still couldn't forget that his parents were expecting their second child, a sister who Rishab was sure to spoil. And he definitely couldn't forgive the person behind all this.  Just then Madhu cleared her throat gaining his attention.

Madhu: Why are you avoiding me?

Rishab: (Slurs) So you know that I'm avoiding you? Then why can't you take the hint and leave me alone?

Madhu: Y-you are drunk?

Rishab: Is that a question?

Madhu: Getting drunk is not the answer Rishab!! I know you are hurt but you need to hear me out. What you know is true but not the complete truth. Papa didn't kill your parents.

Rishab started to laugh in a weird sarcastic way. Madhu tried to step closer to him but he just pushed her away.

Rishab: I knew it!! So you are here on behalf of your murderer father. And I thought you would understand me. But you don't Miss Madhubala!!! You don't know what it's like to lose a family!! 

Madhu had unshed tears in her eyes. She could feel his pain but if only he gave her a chance to explain everything. Just one single chance.

Madhu: Please Rishab. Just hear me out. I-I promise I will leave you alone after that.

Rishab: Just go away.....Madhu.

Madhu: Yes papa was there when your parents died but he.........

Rishab: (Growls) I SAID LEAVE!!! Y-Your father didn't kill them? Then who dammit!?? Do you know why I hate you? Because you are a liar!! A liar daughter of a murderer dad. And if he didn't kill them then why the hell he ran away from the scene like the bloody coward he is!! He is a bast.......

Rishab's yelling was cut short by Madhu's hand loudly meeting his face. A loud slap echoed in the room. Madhu's furious breathing could be heard loudly from the distance. She could bear anything but not this. Not her innocent father. Not a person who was living under the guilt of a crime that he never did. 

Madhu: Not a word Mr. Kundra. NOT A WORD!!! I thought i could mend things but looks like you love to live this way. Broken and empty. 

She started to leave when she stopped and turned around. Rishab was standing there with his head hung low. Madhu knew that he was not in his senses but a drunk person always speaks the truth. And this is what he actually felt about her and her father. She wiped her tears and pulled out an invitation card from her bag and placed it on the table.

Madhu: And I thought that we were meant to be. I hope you do attend the wedding and give best wishes to move on in life.

And that day Madhu cried over her lost love, over a man named Rishab Kundra, and over a love story that could have been theirs.

Khushi was furiously typing away on her computer trying to block today's incident. For the past two weeks, Arnav did everything to ask for her forgiveness. From gifting her a bouquet every day to delivering her favorite lunch to her cabin, from leaving a soft toy on her door steps every day to sending bingo with stupid cheesy sorry messages every day, and from bending down on his knees in front of his whole staff to making burnt jalebis for her. But today he crossed his limits. He fixed a date for her with a person who he deemed as perfect for her. He had this perfect match hunt going on since last week and it finally came to an end today. He found a guy who he thought was perfect for Khushi. He compared their likes and dislikes and they matched ninety-five percent of the time. Although it hurt him a lot he had promised himself that he would do anything for her happiness. So here she was trying to prepare herself for the 'date'. Finally, Khushi had enough and she abruptly stood up from her desk.

Arnav was busy reviewing the company's year-end reports when his office door slammed open and there stood an angry Khushi breathing heavily like an angry kitten. He tried to cover his laugh with a cough as she was nowhere near frightening to him. But what happened next killed him and sent him directly to heaven. Khushi stormed towards him and grabbed him by his shirt's collar. She lowered his head and slammed her lips on his.