Forty Two

My eyebrows pull together, but I keep my mouth shut. Why does he care? I thought he'd move past her by now. Maybe I'm wrong. To him I'm probably 'easy' to get with and get back. I'm not some toy. Then again, these are just assumptions.

I hang my head down, turning on my feet to walk into Johnson's room. I look down on the wooden floor and concentrate on the patterns, trying not to overthink things. I bump into a hard figure and their hands go to my arms, apologizing.

I look up and see Nate, smiling at me, "Hey, I didn't know you were here." He says, his dimples showing.

"I just got here." I mumble.

"Why so down?" Nate asks, his hands still on my arms.

"Hands off." I hear Jack's deep voice from behind. "We're leaving." He grabs my hand, pulling me away from Nate; I hear him mumble a few words to himself. "Why can't people keep their hands to themselves."

I pull my hand from his grip and that instantly stops him in his tracks. Jack turns around and confusions washes over his face as he stares at me.

"What now?" He groans, rolling his eyes. "You're so problematic. Let's go." He says to me as if I were a dog refusing to go on a walk.

"Shut up, Jack!" I almost scream and his eyes widen at my outburst. "Whenever something comes out of your mouth, it's either rude or it creates drama!"

"Calm down." He tries to grab me again, but I step away.

"No! You're so bipolar and I've had enough." I tell him, pushing last him to go outside.

Great. This barely lasted three days and I didn't even bring my own car here. How the hell am I supposed to get home?

"Camila, slow down." I hear him picking up his pace behind me.

He successfully grabs my hand, tugging me so I collide into his chest. His hand goes up to caress my cheek. Is he going to explain his behavior and feelings towards her or what?

"Look at me." He says and I continue to look away from him.

I hate him.

"Please." He adds and his politeness obviously makes me look up and he looks like he's trying to figure out my emotions.

I bite the inside of my cheek, "what are you looking at?" I snap when he stares for too long.

A small smile comes upon his face, "you're cute when you're mad."

I look back up at him through my eyelashes. His hand is still on my face and his thumb is rubbing up and down my cheek, slowly. Jack deeply sighs and then pulls me into his arms.

"You're annoying." I tell him.

"I know, baby." He hugs me tighter.

My arms remain by my side until Jack uses one of his hands to guide my arms around his torso. I sigh and hug him back. He's such a nuisance.

"I love you and only you." He reassures me. "I'm obviously going to be a little skeptical seeing one of my best friends with my ex."

"Yeah, but the way you talked to him made me feel so below her and like I was just a hookup."

"Oh, come on. We all know- everyone knows- that you mean so much to me." He kisses the top of my head.

My eyebrows raise even thought he can't see me, "sure." I sarcastically spit.

He pulls away, holding me at arms length and his eyebrows are pulled together. Oh lord.

"What do you mean sure?" He probes me. "I show it so much. Everyone knows." He emphasizes.

"Okay, Jack." I say, trying to get him annoyed.

"Whatever." He says like a high school girl. "Let's just go home."

Just as we're about to walk out of the garage, the door opens and Nate walks out. He searches for his Nike slides and then feels his pockets for a white lighter.

"Hey, just came out to smoke a blunt." He informs us, holding up a roll. "Want any, Gilinsky?"

Jack shakes his head, "no thanks."

"You used to do it so much." Nate continues to talk and my eyebrows knit together.

Jack used to smoke? Jack quickly looks down at me, nervously. I'm not mad at him, I'm just a little disgusted. Sure, I don't mind drinking or seeing people smoke at parties, but if my boyfriend smokes then it's gonna be a little problem.

I grab Jack's hand, dragging him to his car. It isn't long until he opens his mouth to comment.

"Eager much?" Jack smirks at me and he's referring to sex.

"No, I just want to leave. I want to go out and eat." I tell him and he nods his head.

"Okay." He slowly drags out the word, getting in the drivers seat. "Where do you want to go?"

"Somewhere fast and easy."

"Did you just describe me?" The stupid smirk still on his face and I roll my eyes at him; he's such a child. "Sorry."

"It's fine. Just pick a place because I know that if I do, you're gonna argue against it."

"You know me so well." He reaches over to grabs my hand, bringing it up to his lips to kiss the back of it.

He reverses back from the driveway, only using one hand and he's pretty skilled at just driving with one hand. Jack drives off into a random direction and I'm not even gonna bother asking where we're heading.

*

The next morning.

I wake up and I'm suddenly cold. The only warm contact is the skin to skin one with Jack and his arms are warm. Then I come to the realization that I'm only in a bra and panties.

I immediately sit up. Jack's eyes slowly open at my sudden movement and he licks his dry lips. He automatically smiles as he sees me trying to cover myself up with my arms.

"Nothing I haven't seen before, babe." He tells me. "Go back to sleep. It doesn't matter if you're not wearing a shirt."

I nod at his words. I guess he's right. I lay back down, pulling the white covers over me and Jack's arms squeeze me. My face in the crook of his neck and his chin on top of my head. How did I get so lucky to have someone like him.

I close my eyes and try to fall back asleep, but it's useless. Now I'm wide awake, but I hear Jack's soft snoring erupting from either his nose or mouth and I don't want to wake him up again. My eyes just stay closed and I guess I'll wait until he wakes up again.

His snoring suddenly ceases, "are you still awake?" His deep voice asks and I feel his chest vibrate with every word.

"Yes." I whisper and I don't know why I am.

One of his arms let go of me as he rolls onto his back, rubbing his eyes with that free hand.

"You can get up if you want." He tells me.

"You're not gonna get up with me?" I ask, running my hand up and down his abdomen.

"I'm tired, baby."

"Okay, I'll let you rest." I say, getting up and pecking his lips quickly.

Jack grips my butt with one hand making me laugh. He smiles, closing his eyes and I get off of the bed to get ready for the day.

{vote, comment, share}