•2•

[Zach]

"The Collective!!!"

And as we all piled up to the stage, the crowd went wild like they always do whenever we perform.

As I look into the massive crowd, my eyes immediately looked for Katrina but she's not around.

Maybe she's coming late.

When we finished our song, we received praises from the judges on how our performance was great... On how we polished everything... Oh well, that's what you call teamwork.

When we went to the backstage, "Where's Katrina? I thought she'll be watching us?" Jayden asked.

"She might be running late." I said which could be true because she lives thirty minutes away and in this time of evening, she could be caught in a traffic jam.

But to be honest, I'm starting to get worried.

"Zach? Are you alright?" Trent asked, cutting off my thoughts.

"Yeah." I replied coolly.

God, my heart was beating so fast.

**

The night finished and we got eliminated. We didn't make it through the top 2 but we have this victory party thing and I guess that this night wasn't so bad at all. And still, no sign of Katrina. I can't believe it that she didn't come tonight.

When we were about to leave for the victory party, my phone rang. I went out of the dressing room and answered it in the hallway.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hello? Can I talk to Mr. Zach Russell?" A woman's voice spoke up from the other end of the line.

"Speaking."

"Sir, I'm Nurse Kiara Leighton, calling on behalf of Sydney Hospital. We were very sorry to inform you that Ms. Katrina Risteska, your girlfriend, was caught in a car accident two hours ago and that her condition is very critical. The doctor said that she have no chance of surviving."

And with that I almost dropped my phone and broke into tears.

"Hello? Sir? Are you still there?"

I refrained myself from sobbing out loud on the other end of the line as I wiped my tears. "Oh. Okay. I'll be over there with my friends in a few minutes." I said then hung up.

I broke down on the floor as the news completely shook my whole world. Katrina's in a critical condition... And she has no luck of surviving.

Damn! What the heck?! Why her?!

I sobbed and sobbed, taking the opportunity as for I was alone. I don't want everyone to see me like this, a mess.

"Zach?"

I looked up and saw Trent. He walked towards me, "What's wrong?" he asked. I just shook my head.

"C'mon Zach. We're like brothers now." Trent said.

I stood up and hugged him.

"What happened?" he asked again.

I pulled away, "Katrina... Katrina's in the hospital right now... And she- she's in a critical condition... The doctor said that she has no chance of surviving." I said then sobbed again.

"Alright. I'll inform Jayden and the others. We'll come with you to the hospital." He said and this is why these boys are so important to me. They are so supportive. I always wondered to myself, could it be that we were all related to each other in the past life?

Jayden, William and Julian came out and he filled them in on what happened. They understood the situation immediately and accompanied me to the hospital.

**

We entered the hospital and immediately rushed into her room which is Room 235 and that was at the second floor.

I hope we're not yet too late.

We went in and saw Katrina's parents crying into the other side of the room. Her younger brother, Timothy, was there too, crying. And when I looked at Katrina, she was there... Lying on the hospital bed, her head wrapped in a bandage and many things were connected on her...

...And seeing her like that just totally broke my heart.

I couldn't hold it in anymore so I poured my heart out as I walked to her side and held her hand. Slowly, she opened her eyes and we were a bit overjoyed.

"Mom... Dad... Tim..." She said weakly. Then she looked at me and smiled, "Hey Zach."

"Baby.... Are you alright? Is there something you need?" I asked as I held her hand tight cause seriously, I'd give her anything that she needs right now.

"I need you just to be here..." she said weakly as she smiled. "Zach... I love you and I always will... Remember that. Okay? I love you... I love you Zachariah Brian Russell."

Then with that, she slowly closed her eyes and then the machine beside her started beeping. I looked at it and saw nothing but two flatlines in it. "No... No! Katrina!!!" I cried. "Katrina!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!! KATRIIIINNNAAA!!!"

I could hear the others sobbing too.

Then I bowed my head down and cried. The hurt from not winning the contest was no match for this. This is more painful. I can live losing a contest but losing the one I love... No way.

"Katrina..." I sobbed. "Why?! Katrina!!!"

"Zach..." I heard Trent said then he put his hand on my shoulder. I stood up and shook my head and got out of the room. I can't take it. It's too much for me.

When I got out of the room, I sat on one of the benches nearby and sobbed. Why do I need to lose the girl I love?! Why?

**

After three days, we held a burial ceremony and after that, I stayed behind and stared down dumbly on her tombstone.

I burst into tears again as I pulled a little red box out from my pocket. I opened it and cried even more. Inside was supposed to be her engagement ring.

I was supposed to propose to her three days after our grand finals... And guess what? It should be today. How great is that? (*sarcasm*)

I closed the lid of the box and put it in my pocket and then I stood up, wiping my tears away. I should be strong for Katrina. She wouldn't like to see me like this.

"Zach, we have to go." Trent told me. I nodded and went back with him in the car with the other guys. When we got in and started to drive away, we were all quiet and that silence then lulled me to sleep.

I wish that this is just a nightmare...

A nightmare that I can wake up from...

But no. It's not. It's real life. Katrina's dead and I wouldn't be able to see her again... Hold her close to me again...

Not anymore.

And I swear, from now on, I would never ever love again.