•11•

[Zach]

As our lips clashed on each other, I melted inside. I felt that same feeling whenever Katrina and I would kiss... That warm electrifying feeling...

It's like I want to make this last forever.

Suddenly, I felt her hand struck my right cheek and pain stung my whole right cheek after that.

"I-I'm sorry Mariah..." I said and when I looked into her eyes, I could see nothing but pain and fear in them. "Mariah..." I stepped forward, reaching my hand out to her but she stepped back while trembling.

"Don't touch me!" She hissed.

"Mariah, I'm sorry." I said again.

Then tears started to fall out from her eyes as she took a step back once again then she ran out from my room. I punched the wall and broke down in desperation. Damn. What am I going to do right now?!

[Mariah]

I ran out from Zach's room... It's the only thing I can do to pull myself out of the situation.

I can't believe that he kissed me... Well, I'm not really angry that he kissed me. I just got scared, that's all. Why? Because I suddenly remembered the time when Matt (my ex) kissed me then he broke up with me after that kiss.

I'm afraid of how I feel for him. I'm afraid of a guy that that would make me assume for nothing. And Zach can be one of them. No offense but with all the popularity that he's getting because of their boy band, it's possible that he could be flirting with some girls and then he'll leave them brokenhearted. I'm afraid that I'll end up getting hurt again.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Trent suddenly asked me as he pulled me by my wrist. I just shook my head as I tried to wipe my tears away.

"C'mon..." He said then he led me into their lounge room and let me sat down on the couch with him.

"Tell me what happened." He said, trying to sound like a big brother to me.

"Zach... He- He kissed me." I cried.

"Well... What's wrong with that? Don't you like Zach?"

"I... I like him." Honestly, I don't know how he let me let those words out. "But..."

"But?"

"But I'm afraid."

"Afraid of what?"

"Afraid of what I feel for him. Trent, I've been through this before and I always end up hoping for nothing. I always end up being hurt."

"Maybe this time's different."

I looked at him, "How do you know that?" I asked him.

"Well, just a hunch." He replied. "You know, Zach's not the kind of guy who makes a girl hope for nothing." I looked at him waiting for him to continue. "Zach likes you Mariah." He continued. "He just doesn't know it yet."

I just looked at him and I can tell that he's telling the truth because I can see it in his eyes. "Zach's the type of person who keeps things to himself." Trent added. "He only spills his heart out to his brother Aaron who is unfortunately not here. It's kinda sad 'cause we're his band mates... We're like already his brothers. His second family but he seldom talks to us about his feelings."

"But I thought..." I trailed off as he shook his head. "Ever since Katrina died, he changed. He may appear a cheerful and an open person in magazines, videos and interviews but in reality, he's not. He's a very quiet and secretive guy." He said.

"Mariah? Can I talk to you?" Zach said.

"Oh good that you're wearing a shirt now." I shot as I looked up and put on a fake confident smile.

"Okaaaaaayyy... I'll leave you guys alone." Trent said then he stood up and left us. "Can I sit beside you?" Zach asked.

"It's your couch. Of course you can." I said flatly while not looking at him.

"Mariah I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me." He said.

"You guys always say that."

"Believe me, I mean it. I'm really sorry."

I still focused my gaze on the floor when suddenly, I felt his hand touched mine but still I didn't look up. I was surprised when he suddenly lift my chin up and turned my head so that we're face to face... And believe me, I tried not to get lost in his beautiful and loving eyes.

"I'm sorry." He said firmly. "I... I was just confused and lonely back there...."

I took a deep breath and sighed, "Okay. You're forgiven." I said.

"Really? But you don't sound that very convincing." He said as he did the puppy eyes.

"Oh Zach... Please don't give that look."

"Are you sure you forgive me?"

"Yes. I'm sure. And besides, I don't wanna destroy our friendship with just one kiss... I mean, it's just a kiss. It doesn't have to change everything about us."

We smiled at each other then he pulled me closer to him and give me the tightest hug that I've ever had in my entire life.

But what Trent had told me a while ago bothered me somehow. He said that Zach likes me but he just doesn't know it to himself yet... Could it be true?