Part 8

Part 8

I walked into the living room, where Nathan was talking with the kids.

"You guys trust me, right?" he asked them.

"Yes!" they said, while nodding.

"So why won't mommy?" he asked, using mommy instead of Alice.

"Mommy is hurt. We only that. Someone hurt her, so now she is sad. We don't know who hurt her but we know mommy didn't do anything wrong." Alex said.

I was surprised. They could tell that I was hurt. They could tell I wasn't ok.

"She is always trying to be a good mommy and she even tried to be a daddy but mommy can't be both. Alex and me are both happy that we have a daddy and mommy doesn't have to work so hard." Alec said.

For 4 and 3 year old they know a lot.

“Why do you think I’m your dad?” Nathan asked.

I could tell that hadn’t meant to come out of his mouth, and I was going to go save him before the kids replied.

“We know you are not daddy, but you love mommy as much as we do, so we want you as our daddy. We’ve never had a daddy before, so can you be our daddy?” Alec asked.

I can’t believe my kids were actually smarter than I had thought. They were talking as if they were way older.

“Of course, I wouldn’t want to be anyone else’s dad. How can I make mommy happy?” Nathan asked, and says.

“Mommy only wants us to be happy, and then she’ll be happy. No one can make mommy happy.” Alec said, sadly.

“Don’t you make mommy, happy?” Nathan asked.

Before the kids could say anything else, I interrupted.

"I think we should get going. It's 10!!!" I popped out from behind the shadows.

"Mommy!" the kids said, as Nathan said, "Alice!"

Nathan had already guessed that I had been listening the whole time, whereas the kids thought that I had just appeared.

They rushed over to me, as I crouched down.

"It's really late now!! This is the latest you guys have stayed up!!" I said.

"You guys should be in bed by now!" Nathan said, sternly, catching on.

"Aw!!!!!" they whined.

"You guys got two extra hours! So no complaining!" I told them.

They hung their heads. I grabbed their bags and walked to Nathan's car. I got the kids and the bags in the car.

"Guys, get in the car. We're coming." I said.

The kids disappeared, knowing the routine. They understood too much at their age.

“Alice—” Nathan started.

“You can ask me anything you want, just don’t get the kids involved ok. I don’t care what you do, just don’t get the kids involve in all this mess. They’re suppose to be innocent little angels, which I just found out their not, but at least I’m going to save the rest of their innocence.” I said, without addressing anything else they had talked about.

Nathan frowned at that and tugged me to the car. Without another word.

We drove to Nathan's house, cough, cough, mansion.

The sky looked dark, and stormy. It looked like it was going to rain or worse.

When we reached there, the kids wowed as Nathan and I chuckled.