Part 20

Recap: 

Thank you, but I wish to stay here.” I told her.

She sighed, sadly and told me one more thing before she left.

“As you wish, child, but I know one thing. He won’t let you stay there when he wakes up.” She said, before leaving.

I didn’t let that sentence get to me, knowing that if I actually thought about it, she was right. Or she would be.

Ello, Ello. Sorry, I still haven't been uploading that much. Maybe over winter break when I have nothing to do. Anyway, here's your new chapter 

 Part 20

It was near dawn when I saw his hand twitch. I was about to get up when I stopped myself and refrained from getting up and going to him. When he woke up, he was groggy and groaning. He blinked several times, trying to survey his surroundings. When he looked confused, I decided to talk.

“Alice.” He croaked out.

The first thing he said was my name. I was touched and absolutely happy that he cared about me that much. Before I knew what I was doing, my resolve had broken. I was crying as I made my way towards Nathan.

When he saw me, he reached out for me. As I sat down next to him, he took my hand and looked me in the eyes.

“Are you ok?” He asked, concerned.

That did it. I was back to sobbing like crazy. I couldn’t hold them at bay. He was the one with a knife wound so close to his heart that he could have died and here he was, worrying about me. That idiot!

“You idiot!! You’re the one in the hospital bed and you’re worrying about me!” I yelled, scolding him.

“No one fixed your wounds.” That’s the only thing he said.

“So? It doesn’t matter. You’re wounds are more pressing than mine.” I replied.

“Not to me. For me, you’re wounds are more pressing than mine. You should get fixed up too.” He said, as he reached out, to wipe my tears.

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry, Nathan. I’m really sorry. It’s my entire fault. This is my entire fault. I’m sorry. I don’t want to see you hurt. I was so scared you were going to…to…” I couldn’t finish what I was going to say.

The tears were falling without warning and nonstop. Nathan pulled me closer to him. I tried to get out of his grip and move away, but he wasn’t having any of that. In the end, my face was buried into the side of his chest as I cried. He soothed me though, as if I was the one in pain.

“I’m sorry, Nathan. I’m really sorry. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” I said, burrowing my face into his chest.

“It’s not your fault, Alice. Don’t say sorry when you have nothing to be sorry for. I did what I wanted to do and no one could have stopped me. Shhh, this isn’t your fault. I’m fine, see?” Nathan said.

I lifted my head to look up at him. He looked ok but I knew he was in a lot of pain, especially where I just left tear marks on his bandages.

“Where does it hurt?” I asked.

“No, I’m fi—” Nathan tried to say.

“Where does it hurt?” I asked again, not letting him get out of this.

He sighed, knowing I wasn’t going to give up. He pointed to his chest, were the knife once was, and I gently glided my fingertips over his chest, trying not to hurt him, but soothe his pain. He gasped and his eyes widened, I figured he was hurt so I immediately moved my hand.