Part 28

Recap: “Come on. We’ll talk about this when we get to the hotel room. We’ve been gone forever, and Dave’s probably getting annoyed. I don’t want to leave and this conversation certainly isn’t over yet, but we have to go.” I wiped away her tears.

Her eyes looked a bit red but no one would really notice.

“You’re not going to the press conference but I’ll be home a bit later than usual. Instead of at like 8 or something it might be more like 10.”

She nodded, a bit more calm. I kissed her forehead.

We walked back to the room. Everything seemed fine. I hope it would stay that way for a little while. Alice’s warning though, seemed to be her instincts which meant that nothing would stay peaceful for long. She always got restless when things were about to go bad.

 Part 28

Alice’s POV

Why did I know things were going to go wrong? I don’t know. Sometimes I think that I can sense Xavier near, like an alert or warning of some kind, but that was insane so I shook it off. It did manage to always make me restless, hence the scene I just pulled there. I sighed, tired suddenly. I didn’t like arguing with Nathan, but he needed to know that we couldn’t just play house till Xavier came then kick his butt then go back to playing house, we had to settle this. I didn’t want to cause more trouble than I was already causing.

“Alright, who’s hungry?” Nathan asked.

We had entered the room. Dave had been entertaining the kids, I don’t know, but he was doing a good job. The kids loved him already, and they had trust issues, not as bad as me but they still had some serious trust issues. I was just glad they had one more person they could trust and were friends with. These two were too adorable not to make friends.

“Me, me!” The kids answered.

I sighed, tired but put on a smile anyway. I was really good at that. Besides, strength is only how well you hide the pain.

“Come on. We’ll be having lunch with one of my bosses, kind of.” Nathan explained while we left the office building.

“Wait, I thought you were the boss?” I asked.

“Well I am but I’m still only 18 years old. I need someone to watch over me, make sure I don’t do anything stupid, not that I will. My dad and some of his trusted friends in the company are keeping an eye on me. When I turn 21 years old, I won’t have to have anyone watch over me.” Nathan explained.

I nodded understand.

“Then why are we going? Isn’t this meeting important? Is the press going to be there?” I asked, questions forming.

“Chill, Alice. Steve isn’t just another one of dad’s coworkers. They’ve been together since they were children and he’s my dad. Hence why Nathan, here, and I have been friends since we were kids too.” Dave explained, smiling, putting one arm around my shoulder and the other one around Nathan's, effectively breaking us apart.

Nathan glared, hard, at him and he quickly withdrew from his position, coughed and walked forward towards the kids, only a few paces in front. Nathan stood back at my side, and put his arms around my waist.

“I hate when he does that sometimes.” Nathan grumbles.

“You hate when he does what?” I asked, confused.

“When he butts in like that.” He complains

“Hey, be glad you have such a best friend that you’ve known since forever. It’s a true gift. Not many friends get to be together like that.” I smiled up at him.