Part 12

Part 12

Alice’s POV

A nurse came in after a while, checking Alex and Alec.

We informed her that they had both woken up; she wrote something down on her clipboard and left.

A while later, two police men came in, looking serious. Nathan stood up, getting protective; I stood too, right next to him.

“Is there something wrong, officer?”I asked, curious.

“Yes, could you tell us what happened, at the chocolate factory?” one of the officers asked.

I could tell this would cause some problems so we were both on edge about this. It seemed they were here for a reason.

They took us outside of the room and we explained. We explained what happened, leaving out a lot of stuff, so we wouldn’t get in trouble. They just listened, not interrupting. We didn’t tell them about the explosion either.

After we were done, they exchanged glances, very seriously.

“You’re not a legal adult yet, so you can’t take care of them. We have to take you to an orphanage. They are still young and will be adopted quickly and once you turn 18 you can do whatever you want.” The officer said.

They were going to separate us. This is exactly what I was afraid of. This is exactly why I didn’t go to the police. I didn’t want leave my kids.

“Please, don’t take them away from me. They’re they only family I have. Please, don’t.” I pleaded.

“I'm sorry.” He said.

I knew for a fact he wasn’t sorry, it was just his job to say that. If he was actually sorry he wouldn’t do this.

“Please, please. They’re the only thing I have. I can’t leave them. I can’t.” I begged, tearing up.

“There’s nothing we can do. It’s the law. You’ll have to come with us.” They answered.

I started to panic. They were the only thing that kept me whole. They’re the only reason I wake up every morning and do the things I do. I would have killed myself if they weren’t there. I can’t lose them. I just can’t.

“Nathan, please. Stop them. I can’t lose them. They’re everything to me. Please, I can’t live without them. Please. I need them. They’ve kept me happy for so long. Please, help me.” I begged him.

I could see my sadness reflecting in his eyes. He looked conflicted. He tried to save me, yet again.

“Wait, what if my family adopts them, all three of them.” Nathan interrupted.

Like always, he was my glimmer of hope in a sad world, my light in a dark room. He was always there. I wrapped my arms around his torso, leaning on him. I buried my face into the side of his shirt, as his arms wrapped around me, reassuringly. He was always there. I was so grateful for him. He’d done so much for my family.

“Thank you.” I whimpered.

He kissed my head, holding me tighter.

They officers whispered and talked about it. They came back about 5 minutes of talking later.

You’ve got 4 hours, just before the two of them are discharged from the hospital. Be back here before then, with an answer. If you can take them, then ok. If not, then we’ll take all of you to the orphanage.” The officer told us.

They left and I turned to Nathan.

“Thank you, so much.” I said.

He only opened his arms. I curled up against him, as he held me.