The Truth

I open the door and step inside the small box. I reach out to grab the phone and put the change it before dialing the number that I know oh-so-well. I lay my arm against the phone stand and lean on it. The phone rings, and rings, and rings, before finally the line goes silent. No speaking, but no indication that it's been clicked off. "Hi..." My voice croaks out.

"What do you want?" He says softly. I can hear the stress in his voice. "I just wanted to ask for a favor."

"What?" I squeeze my eyes shut. It's hard to hear his voice. "Have you told them yet?"

"No, Nash."

"Don't - Don't tell them the truth." I speak slowly. "What do you suppose I tell them, then?" I glance up at the coffee shop right next to me and my mouth waters as I start to think about coffee and a bagel. "Tell them I'm on vacation, that I went to visit friends. That you haven't heard a single thing from me in quite a while, when they ask you where I've been. Tell them I'm out on the west coast, where it don't ever rain. That I'm probably doing fine. Tell them I'm all out in Vegas, blowing every dollar I've ever made. Tell them I must be into something bad more me 'cause I sure have lost a lot of weight. Tell them I'm out on the road with some old rock and roll band, living like a gypsy man."

I look in front of me - outside of the booth payphone thing - and see a young couple running along the streets. Tears brim my eyelids as I think of the good times I had with him.

"Just don't tell them I've gone crazy." I choke out. "That I'm still strung out over you. Tell them anything you want to, just don't tell them all the truth."

"Look, the truth is I'm asking you to lie. We both know that it ain't right, but if you've ever loved me, please, have some mercy on me." Tears are running down my face and my hands are clenched into fists. "Tell them anything you want to, just don't tell them that I still need you." The line is completely silent and the only thing that lets me know he's still on the line is that I can hear his uneven breaths.

"Okay?" My voice is rough. "Okay? That's the truth. After all of the shit you've put me through, Cameron, I still fucking need you. I still love you."