Treat You Better

Hamilton

"Hey Nash, we're going bowling after we finish eating. You wanna come?" Jack Gilinsky, one of my best friends asked. "Sure, man." I nodded. We were in the middle of a conversation about Chipotle when my phone started blasting California Love. I looked down to see Cameron's name across the screen. I stood up and walked about ten feet away before answering the call.

"Hey, Cam." I greeted. "Treehouse. Fifteen minutes." There was an underlying urgency to his voice, making nervousness crawl through my veins. He hung up the phone right after he said those three words. I walked back to the table, "Hey, can I take a raincheck? That was my mom and she needs me at home right now." They nodded and I took off running through the mall. I ran through the parking lot like a bat out of hell and jumped in my car. Something was off about Cameron, he's always so calm and collected, but right now he seemed to be in need of something. I drove quickly the parking lot near our treehouse and ran to it.

Cameron and I first discovered the treehouse when he was nine and I was seven. We were looking around for my dog, Keeda when we stumbled upon the old thing. Ever since, it's been our safe house. We go there when we're having problems and we don't want to go home. It's been ten years since we first found it. To this day, nobody but Cameron and I know about it.

I approach the treehouse and I can already see Cameron leaning out of the window with a look that I can't decipher. I walk over and climb up the tree. Once I get it, I stay seated on the ground next to the door. He obviously heard me come in, but instead of turning around he continues to look out the window. "We broke up," He speaks lowly. "What, why?" Cameron had been dating the the up and coming singer Shawn Mendes for five months now. I never really liked Shawn all that much. There was nothing wrong with him, I just wasn't fond of him for the sole reason that he was dating Cameron.

"It's just not the same anymore," He mocked Shawn, using his hands as quotation marks. "In other words, he fucking cheated on me, Nash." He turned around and there was a tear rolling down his cheek. He must be heartbroken, he really loves Shawn. "Oh, Cam." I opened my arms for him and he sat down next to me before crying into my chest.

-

"Cam, come on. This will help you get over him." I begged him to come to the mall and I've been bribing him all day to get him to come in the store that Shawn's best friend works in. I don't know if this will actually help him get over Shawn, I just really need a new pair of shoes.

I grab onto his hand and tug him into the store. Even through his resistance, I still manage to drag him in here. I walk through aisles and aisles of shoes with Cameron despondently trailing behind me. I was beginning to lose hope, I couldn't find that perfect pair that was calling my name.

"Alright, I can't find any. Let's go." I say to Cameron. He perks up a bit and we start for the exit. As I pass through the last aisle, I hear a loud thump and Cameron groaning. I turn around and immediately start laughing. He glares at me while I continue to laugh my ass off. "You asshole. This is your fault, I didn't even want to come in here in the first place..." Cameron mumbles as he stands up. I stop laughing just long enough to watch Cameron stomp off. I look down to what he tripped over and my eyes widen. They're the most beautiful pair of shoes I've ever laid my eyes on. "C-Cameron!" I yell to him. I pick the shoes up and he comes walking back in. "These." I show them to him with a grin on my face.

I grab his hand and pull him to the back of the store so I can pay for these shoes. "Nash, stop. Let me go wait outside." I stop and put the shoes under my armpit. I take his hands in mine and a warmth flows through my veins. "Cam, I would never make you do anything I know you couldn't handle." I caress his fingers softly before letting go of one hand and dragging him towards the register. To our luck, Shawn's best friend, Ian is working the cash register.

"Will this be all?" He asks in a monotone voice. I nod and he rings it up. "That'll be $75.89." He looks so bored with life, it makes him seem like he hates everything. I feel Cameron's hand pull away and I glance backwards to see him running off. "Cameron! Get your ass back here!" I yell to him. He stops in his tracks and puts his head down as he slowly makes his way back over to me. Ian rudely clears his throat and tells me the price again. I hand him my debit card and he slides it. As Cameron walks up beside me, Ian furrows his eyebrows. He studies Cameron for a few seconds before a shit-eating grin appears on his face.

"You're the boy Shawn just broke up with. I might have to tap that ass, he said you're a good fuck." Cameron's face flushes and his eyes start watering. "Shut you're fucking mouth." I say, a flame of anger ignites within me. I grab onto Cameron and my shoes before walking off. "Damn you really have a nice ass!" I stop Cameron and hand my shoes to him. He looks up at me with pleading eyes, but I ignore them. This douchebag is going to pay.

I calmly walk up to Ian and stand in front of the register counter. He gives me a disgusted look. I grab onto the collar of his shirt and pull him closer to me. I pull my fist back and punch him in just the right place of his nose that you can hear the crack. I punch him again, two times. Three time. Four, five, six. When I'm done with him, his eyes are hardly open. I lean down to his ear and whisper, "Tell your buddy Shawn that I'm the one who did this." I walk off to Cameron who has tears running down his beautiful cheeks. I grab Cameron's hand and we start for the parking lot.

When we get back to the treehouse, Cameron is crying harder than before. "Did he only date me for the sex? Is that all I'm good for?" He wails. I shake my head and pull him on my lap so that he's straddling me. His face is buried in my neck and his tears dampened my shirt. I threw my arms around him and held him tightly.

"You know I would never lie to you, Cameron. He's an asshole little boy who deserves nothing. You deserve the fucking world, Cam." His body shakes and I can feel my world crumbling because of his broken heart. "I can give you the world, just tell me when you're ready." I whisper into his ear. Despite how loud he is, I know he can hear me.

He pulls back and I look into his watery eyes. Tears continues to run down his cheeks and his chin and bottom lip shakes. I wipe some tears from his eyes and he continues to stare at me. I grab both sides of his head and bring my lips to his forehead. I can hear him take a deep breath and when he pulls back, tears are no longer running. He nods slowly before saying, "I'm ready."