chasing miles preview

"Dallas! Where you been at?" Matthew shouts at Cameron the second he walks through the doors of the diner. "Living, my friend. I've been living."

"You're glowing," Matthew observes. "Is he finally your boyfriend?" Cameron rolls his eyes but his beautiful smile gives him away. "Hopefully after tonight he will be." Cameron throws on his apron and gets to work. "What date is this now? Shouldn't your wedding be coming soon?" Matthew jokes. "This is date number four, the wedding isn't until after date number six." Cameron smacks Matthew with a wash rag and Matthew catches it. "You're gonna get it now,"

-

"Alright, man. Good luck on your date tonight!" Matthew shouts as Cameron walks out to his truck. He turns around and gives Matthew two thumbs up and a goofy grin before getting in his truck and making his way home. He arrives at home and gets in the shower. After his shower, he dries off and walks into his closet, his eyes perusing over the area. He picks out a pair of dark jeans with a dark green shirt, cowboy boots, and a ball cap to tie it all together. He gathers everything that he needs and picks a rose from a bush. He heads over to Nash's house and is surprised to see him out on the front porch waiting for him.

"You ready to go?" He asks Nash as he stands up. He nods and Cameron gets out of the truck to hand him the rose. Nash blushes and thanks him as Cameron opens the door for him. "What're we doin'?" Cameron glances at Nash with a grin, "Horseback riding." His eyes light up and he grins brightly. Last time they were together, Nash had  mentioned that he used to have a horse and hadn't been riding in over three years.

By the time they arrive Nash is practically bouncing in excitement. "Ready?" He asks rhetorically. He nods hastily and they get out of the car. 

Cameron walks up to a guy standing outside of a barn and does a "bro" handshake. "What's up Cam?"  The guy has feature similar to Nash, blue eyes, light colored skin with freckles. It seemed the only physical differences were their hair style/color and height.

"Not much man, what's up with you? How's life?" He leans against the fence behind him and shoves his hands in his pockets. "You know, same ole' same ole'." The man's eyes flicker to the beautiful boy behind Cameron causing Cameron looks back at his shy smile before moving aside. "Dakota, this is Nash. Nash, this is one of my best friends, Dakota." Nash shakes his hand, "Pleased to meet ya, darlin'," Dakota's southern accent is very strong, probably stronger than Nash's. Nash smiles as Dakota kisses his knuckles. Nash looks back at Cameron who has an unreadable expression on his face. "Well, let's get goin'."

Dakota brings them around to the back of the barn where he has three horses saddled up with their leads tied to the fence. Dakota unties a tall chocolate brown horse with a white line running down his back and stomach. Cameron gets behind Nash and boosts him up onto the horse. "Do you know how to ride a horse?" Dakota questions Nash. He knows Cameron does, Dakota and Cameron used to roam the fields with their horses all of the time before he met Nash. "I'm a little dusty, but I know the basics." Nash replies. "Well pretty much all you have to do is sit on the horse. They all know the trail pretty well. Only thing you have to worry about is them gettin' too close together, or goin' too fast. And if you're comfortable enough we might take them off the trail and do a little runnin'. But while we're on the trail, make sure that we stay in a line." Dakota explains. Cameron unties a bright white horse with bleach blonde hair that radiates confidence and superiority. Dakota gets an older, medium sized brown horse. "What're their names?" Nash asks. "Yours is Patrick, aka Patty, Cam's is Trooper, and mine is Sooner."
(I used to actually have a horse named Sooner, and Trooper is my new horse, they're such sweethearts. Anyway, proceed.)