2. Late

"He'll be here in a second, just a little traffic." Lydia makes up, simultaneously looking out of the restaurant windows and into the empty street. Traffic, she groans to herself as the waitress walks away. It'd been about an hour and a half since Lydia's date, Jackson, had been a no show and she'd been telling the waitress that he'll show up any moment for about an hour now. But there was still hope, right?

The people around the restaurant had been throwing her sympathetic looks all night and even she was started to feel a little bad for herself. As soon as she was about to call the waitress over for her check, a handsome young man sits in the empty chair across from her, getting comfortable as though he hadn't just sat with a random stranger.

"Sorry I'm late, baby." He sighs, straightening out his nice dress shirt and Lydia noticed the stares slowly going away. "I'm Stiles, by the way." He says under his breath so only Lydia can hear. "And whoever was supposed to sit in this chair is a douche." He adds a smile at the end for reassurance that she was okay.

In any other circumstance, Lydia would've told the strange man to go away but the fact that he practically just saved her, warmed her heart. Plus he was very attractive; chestnut brown hair, caramel eyes, and cute little moles lightly dotting his pale skin.
"Lydia." She smiles back. "Thank you."
He shrugs. "People were starting to stare and I, sadly, was one of them. Felt horrible and was tired of waiting for my date so," Stiles opens his arms in a gesture to their current position, "here we are."

"Mm so who stood you up? If you don't mind me asking..." She was just curious, I mean, a face like that? Who could possibly pass him up?
"My girlfriend of six months." He sighs, "but, she's been screwing her boss for weeks now. Tonight just finalized my realization that I no longer give a crap about her." The waitress comes by and pours Stiles a glass of champagne while refilling Lydia's and they do a silent toast to broken hearts and bad dates.
As the night goes on, the two realize how easy it is to make conversation with one another. They had similar like and dislikes along with bad relationships and decent ones.

Memories are made, secrets are told, and laughs are shared. When they finish their meal, Stiles pays even though Lydia offers several times but he claimed that it was the right thing to do. They walked out of the restaurant hand in hand, smiles on their faces.

"My cars right there." Lydia points to her blue Honda parked on the curb and Stiles glances at the vehicle before looking back at the strawberry blonde.
He quickly pulls his phone out of his pocket and opens up his contacts.
"You," he says, putting the phone in Lydia's hand, "are giving me your number. And I will call you tomorrow. And we will go on a proper date." He grins and Lydia types in her number before handing it back to him.

He presses the call button, holding the device up to his ear and Lydia chuckles.
"What are you doing?" She asks just as soon as her phone rings in her purse so Stiles hangs up.
"Making sure you weren't faking me out. I'd have to track you down." He says, grabbing onto her hand. Lydia beams, kissing him on the cheek before slipping into her car and he watches her drive away.

The next morning, Stiles calls Lydia and they go on their second date. The beginning of many.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Authors note:

I am Gene from Bob's Burgers. Don't question it.
Feel free to leave requests!
Comment, read, enjoy!
-Chloe