66. The Crush

Her mind went a million miles a minute. He definitely saw her looking. He definitely sees her blushing.
"Lydia," Scott nudged the girl in her ribs lightly with his elbow, a warm grin on his face. "You're not listening, are you?"
Lydia raised her eyebrows. "Hm? No, I was listening."
"What did I say?" Scott chuckled. Lydia chewed on her bottom lip and took a glance at Stiles who was not too far away from where she stood. She liked to think if she listened closely enough she would be able to pick up on the conversation he was having with some girl. She didn't recognize her, the blonde hair unfamiliar and the way she rocked back and forth on her feet–shifting her weight from the ball of her foot to the heel– was nearly unrecognizable. But she was talking to Stiles and he was smiling down at her and that was more than enough to grab Lydia's attention.
Scott followed her line of sight. "You like Stiles?"
"What? Scott, no." Lydia said, "I've barely ever talked to him."
Scott crossed his arms over his chest and stood in front of his friend, blocking her view from the boy in question. She nearly whined and shoved him out of the way. But she didn't.
"And as much as I support your journey of self empowerment and being single, I can't help but think–"
"We aren't going to think of things that will never happen today." Lydia pulled her purse up a little further on her shoulder and walked down the opposite direction down the hall. Not past Stiles, not even remotely near him. Away from him.

Stiles saw her scurry off and immediately began to wonder what Scott was telling her that made the girl move so quickly. He sighed, dropped his gaze to the ground and kicked at nothing with the tip of his sneaker.
"I don't know, Heather. I don't feel too good I think I might just stay in tomorrow." He lied. He didn't feel like doing anything that involved Heather and her humongous crush on him. She was a grade below him, a Junior, and not that that put him off or anything but she was definitely too immature for him. And to be completely honest, he wasn't all that into blondes. She pursed her lips, not entirely upset with his answer but she had really wanted to spend some time with him. "Okay, call me if you change your mind I guess." She left. Then all of a sudden Scott was in Stiles' face talking so rapidly one would've thought he was the one with ADHD.

He kept going on about lacrosse practice and homework and scholarships and for what seemed like forever as they walked to class and all Stiles could do was roll his eyes in secret at his best friend. He wasn't in the mood to talk about all the responsibilities that came with being a senior at BHHS or how he had been procrastinating them all off. The weight felt too heavy.
"You know Lydia Martin right?" Scott immediately grabbed his attention, Stiles' head snapping up from its previous nearly-right-angle position.
"What about her?" He asked.
"I was thinking about having a party tomorrow and I'm not sure if I should invite her. She's not really into that kind of thing, you know? The whole social aspect of it all freaks her out a bit."
"She could just follow Jackson around all night." Stiles mumbled but Scott had heard it. She was known to like Jackson and everyone supposed he liked her back so it was only a matter of time until they started dating. He stopped walking causing Stiles to as well and formed a wince on his face.
"That's kind of the thing. . ."
Stiles caught on quickly. "You weren't planning on inviting Jackson?"
Scott shrugged. "This whole co-captain thing is going to his head and I really don't want to deal with that. I just want to have a party with chips and soda and good people like you and Lydia."
Stiles kind of wanted him to say their names together. He wanted to know what it sounded like. He was too curious. Stiles and Lydia, it sounded nice in his head but did it sound nice out loud? He was tempted to have his friend repeat the words.
"If I go do I have to bring...anyone?" Stiles asked.
"You mean like Malia?"
"I don't know, I just–" his words fell short, watching Lydia lean against the locker next to Jacksons, talking to him as he put away some of his schoolwork. Her lips barely parted with each word, speaking quietly and under her breath and every now and then Jackson would give a light chuckle and she would smile shyly. He gave her a quick grin before jabbing a thumb over his shoulder, signaling he needed to get to class.