58. Mornings

He loved her in the mornings when the sunlight was soft but disruptive, depriving them of much needed sleep. Her throat was raw, supernatural warnings slipping past her lips far too often nowadays. She was smoothed out against his sheets with roses on her cheeks and a warm memory in her mind. And he loved her in the mornings. When he hadn't realized it was two AM when she showed up at his door, the one that used to guard his secrets but was now wide open for her to see everything he used to hide. Like how hurt he was. They needed shields for their hearts but instead found cages.

The rain tapped some tune of Beethoven's lightly against the window, but Lydia slept through it all and Stiles dare not to wake her unless a literal tornado could be seen. Because he knew she needed the rest. He chuckled when her brows furrowed from a dream. But then just as soon as she had been asleep, she had woken. Jolting forward, hold her chest, Lydia let out an ear bleeding screech that didn't stop until Stiles wrapped his arms around her waist. She gasped for air and leaned into his hold, apologizing with a cracked voice. But he told her it was alright, to focus on the sound of rain outside. They settled back against the sheets as the sun crept slowly up and over Beacon Hills, Lydia's head rested on Stiles' chest and she chose instead to ignore the rain and listen to his melodic breathing. He sounded like the beat of her favorite song with a young and strong thump, thump-thump, thump from his heart ringing through her ears. It calmed her to know he was alive, to know he was breathing here next to her. His fingertips grazed the back of her neck as he curled her strawberry blonde hair around his forefinger. The sun peaked through the blinds on his window, creating horizontal shadows over them.

"What was your dream about?" He prompted and Lydia sighed. She was so exhausted.
"What they're always about." She answered, trying her best not to relive the death she had seen. He took a deep breath, his heart giving an excited thump-thump-thump before silencing momentarily as he breathed out.
Thump
Thump-thump
Thump
"Don't you just love the way the rain makes everything look more green?" Stiles mumbled. Green like her eyes, his favorite kind of emerald green that made the oxygen seem more plentiful in his lungs. Lydia answered back with a short 'mhm', half in a daydream.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Authors note:

Short but I feel like everyone needs a bit of fluff today.
Comment, read, enjoy!
-Chloe