47. Apartments

"Night Lydia."
"Night M." She smiled sweetly before stepping into her apartment just as the boy next door stepped into his.

" She smiled sweetly before stepping into her apartment just as the boy next door stepped into his

Stiles rolled his eyes, quickly responding.

He sighed and threw his phone on the couch before peeling off his shirt and heading towards the bathroom for a shower

He sighed and threw his phone on the couch before peeling off his shirt and heading towards the bathroom for a shower. After a long day, the hot water soothed the ache in his shoulders and he closed his eyes for a moment to enjoy it. A knock came from the other side of his wall. He smiled and knocked back the syllables of 'hello'. They never knew really what the other was saying but kept knocking anyway, Stiles creating an imaginary conversation in his mind.
How was your day? She would ask in four knocks.
Fine. How was yours?
It's tiring being cute.
I know. You should come over.
And do what?
Have sex then eat? He laughed, knowing he would never say anything like that to her in person. He leaned against the shower wall, waiting for more knocks.
You there? He knocked.
Bye.
Bye.
They always knocked only once when they were done. Lydia grinned and went out of her closet and to her bedroom where she flopped against her mattress and eventually fell asleep.

"Good Morning, M."
"Morning Lydia." He chuckled, grinning beneath himself as he locked his front door. She wanted to ask what was funny but didn't want to break their nonexistent no talking streak. Just knocking and hello's for nearly a year. She took the stairs while he pressed the down button on the elevator. And when he reached the bottom floor, he took a peek to the left, into the mail room where his favorite strawberry blonde always checked for her mail before going off to work.

"Night Lydia." He avoided looking in her direction, Lydia jumping with a small scream, Stiles' voice startling her. The guy that had been preoccupied with her lips kept his hands on her waist but glared at her neighbor.
"N-night." She blushed and opened her apartment door, her friend following close after. Stiles allowed himself a few sips of whiskey. But only enough to get him a little hazy. It had been a bad day made just the tiniest worst by the man who had been kissing the girl next door. Okay, a lot worse. It was close to one in the morning when he finally slipped into the shower and heard a knock at his wall.
You there? She had knocked twice.
Sadly
I love you.
I love you too. his knuckles stay pressed against the wall. Bye.
Bye.

"Good morning."
"Morning M." Lydia was beaming, the early Saturday morning not effecting her in the least. She looked like sunshine. Stiles bit his lip and turned towards the elevator only to find his heart drop.
Elevator out of order.
It seemed like five hours he must have stood there before finally clearing his throat and heading in the direction of the stairs. Lydia heard his footsteps behind her, feeling her cheeks flush. It was the moment both of them had always thought of but never actually thought would happen.
"Elevator is uh, out of order." He struggles to get out. And it was the first time she had ever heard him say anything other than 'good morning' or 'good night'. It was as though her brain couldn't compute that these were the same two people speaking. But all he could think about was how he hadn't seen mystery man leave when she had.

"Oh my god, do you need help?" But Stiles was already in the middle of taking a few grocery bags from her struggling arms.
"Thank you." She chuckled as he started up the stairs, not even pausing to wait for her to follow. "You know, I don't even know your real name." She called after him, arriving at their floor to find him standing outside her door. "I mean I do, you told me when I told you mine but it was long and hard to pronounce."
He laughed. "Mieczyslaw. But usually people just call me Stiles. And you, of course, call me M."
She nodded and unlocked her door before kicking it open with her foot, picking up her groceries with a groan before stepping inside. "You can just set them on the kitchen counter!" Lydia called out. Stiles' eyes widened. He would be going into her apartment for the first time ever. He glanced around, mouth opening without no real intention to speak.

It was not how he expected it. Nearly nothing was pink or floral and there were no decorative pillows with bunnies on the couch. No everything was brightly colored, not anything neon but just deeply shaded. Crimson coffee mugs and cobalt blue two-seater sofas. He awed, setting her groceries in the kitchen before poking around a bit. Picture frames decorated bookshelves with photographs of a high school aged Lydia with another girl who had darker hair. He marveled at the size of the novels, their cracked spines indicating which ones she had already read.
"Find anything interesting?" Lydia came out of hiding causing Stiles to jump, startled at her voice.
"Y-yes! I mean, no n-not not anything– shit." He groaned and she laughed. "I like your place."

She smiled and thanked him, folding her arms across her chest, watching him look around. Stiles noticed the silence. "Sorry. I should g–"
"Coffee?" Lydia interrupted, not wanting him to leave but she was already wandering towards the kitchen, not really giving him a choice. Stiles side-eyed the door.
"Uh, yeah sure." Quickly he shot a text to Scott.

"You can take a seat on the couch if you want

"You can take a seat on the couch if you want."

"Cool, thanks

"Cool, thanks." He smiled like a goddamn wreck before plopping down on one of the sofas. She joined him a minute later, handing him a mug before curling into herself on the opposite side of the sofa. They both took a drink.
"I don't know anything about you." Lydia chuckled.
"I don't know anything about you either so I guess we're in the same boat." He cleared his throat. Damn what was I thinking? Lydia thought as they both took a drink of their coffees

" I have a question," she blurted. "When you knock on the wall do you–. . . This is going to sound crazy but do you–"
"Make up conversations in my head?" He nodded, grinning. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Authors note:

TRYING SO HARD TO MAKE ORIGINAL STUFF BUT ITS HARD WRITING IS HARD UGH
comment, read, enjoy!
-Chloe