40. Room Mate

They hadn't known each other for more than a year but the small studio apartment now had a flow to it. At first it was difficult, Lydia was scared to live with a guy and she made boundaries a big issue, drawing a line across the middle of the room using duct tape. Now, eleven months later, they still had their separate sides of the room but the two had worked out a system (who got the bathroom when, who does the dishes on what day, all of that kind of stuff).

His phone buzzed obnoxiously on the side table of Scott's living room but Stiles only half glanced at it, too focused on wining whatever video game they were in the middle of.
"Don't shoot me, don't shoot me." Scott chanted under his breath, jabbing the buttons on his controller harder as if that would somehow help. Stiles caught a glimpse of the notification on his screen.
Text Message From Lydia
He smiled a little, tongue poking out from the corner of his lips as he refocused on finding and finally killing Scott's character. The boy cursed while Stiles immediately lunged for his phone to see what his room mate had said.

"I thought you were bringing home a date?" It was the first thing that came out of Stiles' mouth when he threw open the door to their studio, his eyes immediately catching on to his favorite strawberry blonde in a small black dress

"I thought you were bringing home a date?" It was the first thing that came out of Stiles' mouth when he threw open the door to their studio, his eyes immediately catching on to his favorite strawberry blonde in a small black dress. He kicked the door closed with his foot, holding back a laugh at the almost angry look she gave him. She had said 'no questions',
"He was just an ass with a nice ass." Lydia grumbled, snatching her pajamas up from the top of her dresser before heading to the bathroom to change. They had this rule about dates; either of them could bring someone home but they would have to give the other at least a twenty-four hour notice. And of course, stay on your side of the room.

"Is it cold in here to you?" Lydia asked when she was finished changing, her hair now up in a bun, polka dot shorts clashing horribly with the yellow hoodie she was sporting. She crossed the room with a yawn and fell against her bed.
Stiles shrugged. "A little. Nothing I can't deal with though." He flopped against his own bed, lifting his hips up to slip off his jeans before doing the same with his shirt. Silently, the two burrowed under separate layers of covers and sheets and blankets, mumbling goodnights as they turned the brightness down on their phones to scroll mindlessly through social media in the dark.

"Stiles?" Lydia called out nearly an hour later. He hummed, letting her know he was barely awake. "I'm still cold."
"Mhm."
"Stiles."
"Hm?"
"Can you turn up the thermostat please?" She whispered though there was no real reason to. He didn't answer and it wasn't until she heard long deep breaths did she realize he had finally dozed off in the middle of her request. The only reason she had asked him was because the thermostat was on the wall right above his head. In order for her to reach it she would have to reach over his mattress without waking him up.

With a defeated huff, the girl threw back her blankets and tip-toed over to his bed. But even when she leaned as far over the sleeping boy as possible, she still couldn't reach the thermostat. Pouting, Lydia carefully stood on the end of the bed and leaned over once more. Before she could attempt to reach, a strong pair of arms locked around her waist and brought her crashing down onto the bed. Lydia shrieked but Stiles shushed her and shifted a little to get more comfortable. "Just sleep with me, don't run up the bill. Can't afford that shit." He mumbled, still half asleep. She sighed, prying his arms from her torso before wedging herself between the wall and his body. He peeked open his eyes to look at her watching him. "Head on the pillow and under the covers, Lyds. You said you were cold." He said. She pursed her lips and slid under the blankets, heat immediately engulfing her and she relaxed at the warmth, putting her head on one of his pillows.
"Closer." Stiles whispered.
"Stiles–"
"Closer." He repeated. She bit her lip in thought but easily gave in, scooting over to him so they were chest to chest. She smiled when he threw his arm over her body, his chin being tickled by her hair.

In the morning, Stiles woke first. He usually always woke up before the girl and had gotten used to being quiet when walking around he apartment. Today though, he couldn't even get out of bed because his strawberry blonde friend was wrapped around his body just as much as he was wrapped around hers. Their legs were a mess and her hand was cradling the back of his neck while the other was placed flat against his chest. He smiled and kissed the space between her brows. He didn't know why he had done it, the two rarely even hugged. And it wasn't easy to admit he was falling for the girl. She took in a deep breath, shifting to find a more comfortable position.
"Did you kiss me?" She whispered.
He almost held his breath. "No."
"Don't lie."
"I-I didn't." He felt a blush rising in his cheeks, especially when she sat up on her elbows to look at him. She was fully awake. Had she even been asleep when he had woken? When he had pecked her head?

"Still cold?" He changed the subject. She nodded, moved closer to lay her head on his chest. Now it was her turn to be the one to take him by surprise. She sighed and placed a halfhearted Peck to his chest, holding in a laugh at the way his breathing stopped for a moment.
"Did you just–"
"No." She grinned, lying as he had.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Authors note:

Short, sweet, to the point. I never have anything to say in these notes anymore.
Comment, read, enjoy!
-Chloe