44.Over Protective

"BECAUSE YOU WON'T GET HURT BUT SHE WILL, RIGHT?" Stiles yelled and pushed Scott one last time but it was enough to set him over the edge. He roared, fangs unleashed as he backed his best friend against the wall and watched with red eyes as the human barely even flinched. "I'm right." Stiles spoke, stone cold. "You know it." He threw one of Scott's arms out of the way so he could storm off and leave the alpha to contemplate everything.

The next day at Scott's house with the whole pack was surprisingly easier to pretend nothing had happened the night before. Stiles was slumped on the couch with one arm around Lydia, the girl making quiet conversation with Malia, who sat next to her. Scott was looking out the front window, awaiting Liam and Mason's late arrival to the pack meeting.
"You okay?" Lydia tugged the sleeve of her boyfriends shirt. He raised his brows, as if he hadn't heard what she had asked but then processed her words and mumbled 'fine' with a small smile. She gave him a wary look before turning back to Malia.

"They're here." Scott backed away from the window as soon as Liam and Mason had opened the front door causing Stiles to sit up slightly.
"Let's get this over with." He sighed.
"What's up his ass?" Liam muttered to Scott who shrugged even though he knew the answer. The two rolled out the map that Liam had brought on the wall and pinned it in place, Scott pulling a red sharpie out of his back pocket so he could start marking arrows and directions.
"Okay, so Stiles and Mason will stay posted at the clinic with Deaton. Liam already placed sensors around the hunters base camp," he marked an X on the map somewhere near the Beacon Hills radio towers, "Malia and I will be the brute force, help bring them back to the clinic." Scott took a pause, glanced for a brief second at Stiles before finishing with: "and then Lydia will come around and ease any information we need out of them. Simple."
"You don't listen to a damn word I say, do you Scott?" Stiles bit immediately after his best friend had ended. He stood and walked over to where the alpha was, right in his face, talking frantically with wide hand gestures. "Do you not remember the part with the radio towers? Hm? You know even the slightest frequency can set her off, you know that."

"I'm confused, what's happening?" Malia asked but they ignored her.
Stiles lowered his voice, "I told you–"
"Whoah, wait a minute. You told Scott not to include me?" Lydia stood from the sofa and watched as her boyfriends posture dropped. She wasn't going to like this. He turned to face her, guilt clear across his face and his stomach dropped.
"Babe–" he reached for her arm but she pulled away.
"No! No, Stiles you're always doing this! Why are you always doing this?" She scurried around Scott's house in search of her purse and car keys, ultimately causing him to follow her around.

"You're so possessive!" She shouted, yanking her arm away from him when he reached out one again.
"I just want to keep you safe."
"You have to stop treating me like a little kid!" Lydia slammed the front door behind her leaving an open mouthed Stiles with a rain cloud over his head. As if sensing their eyes, he turned to his friends and cleared his throat, ignoring the distant sound of her car door closing and the tires peeling out. Mason scratched the back of his neck.
"It'll be fine." Malia squeaked from her seat on the couch, everyone now focused on her. "You two always figure things out."
Stiles fiddled with his hands. "Thanks Mal. . .but I think she's finally had enough of me looming over her. I messed up, shit, I know I did. I always do."

His supernatural friends smelt the guilt, the worry, all the crap that usually came with this kind of situation. He was overprotective, everyone knew, but he never wanted to risk losing her.
"I should go apologize." Stiles shoved his hand down his pocket in search of his keys.
"Dude, give her a minute to cool down." Mason interjected. Stiles wilted at the rejection, visibly going pale as he looked around at his friends. Scott could read his thoughts immediately.
"She's not going to break up with you."
"I fucked up." Stiles ran a hand through his hair and sat back on the couch next to Malia, the girl patting him on the shoulder.
"It's not the first time." She had meant it as reassurance but it didn't sound that way as he turned to her with panicked eyes. "Sorry."

His knee bobbed up and down at rapid fire, the gears in his head spinning so fast they seemed to stick and stop working momentarily. He shot up.
"Stiles, no!"
"Don't–"
"You can't–"
He heard the protests of his friends but they slipped in one ear and out the other as he raced towards the front door. Scott grabbed a hold of him though, blocking the exit. Stiles stopped, a look on his face that was almost pathetic came across him.
"Scott," he cocked his head a little, not even as a joke. "Scott please."
And he felt for his brother. He truly did. But the alpha shook his head. "Just give her time."

Stiles agreed again, nodding, tried to wrap his mind around the idea. He turned around with his head hung low and began to shuffle his way back to the couch. "I know it, okay? I know I'm clingy, I know I pester her, and yes I absolutely know I'm way too over protective. Even though she can kick some serious ass, I mean she really–" he stops to give a light chuckle that formed into his sad expression, practically melting everyone's hearts. "She can take care of herself, I know. . .but she's practically all I have left."
"You have us." Liam chimed in.
Stiles smiled, looked down at his feet, trying to think of an explanation but Scott beat him to it.
"It's not the same." Scott said.

And that was all the explanation the beta needed. He could sense it. There was no way to put it to words but somehow he felt it. They all turned to the sound of a squeaking door, the front door to be precise, shocked by the sight of Lydia leaning against the doorframe with a blank expression.
Stiles forced a swallow. "I really can't lose you, Lyds." He told her softly, knowing she's probably heard what he had said.
She's smiled weakly, shut the door behind her. "You're all I have too."
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Authors note:

Requested by @multifandxm_ !!
I don't think this is what you meant when you said over protective/ jealous but I tried😅 lemme know if you want it to be more of like a "OH THAT BOY WAS LOOKING AT YOU IM GOING TO BEAT HIS ASS" type thing😂
Comment, read, enjoy!
-Chloe