Vessel

"So who is the new guy? He's kind of cute." You say out loud.

"That's my brother."

"He replaced the tall guy a week ago. Why hasn't anyone noticed?" You ask.

"Magic. And you humans can be pretty dense."

You roll your eyes and try to come up with an insult when you're interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Miss? Your lunch is here." A nurse walked into your room with a tray.

You took it and smiled. "Thanks." The nurse walked out and closed the door. You sat on your bed and started to poke at your mac'n'cheese. "How much longer do we have to stay here?"

"A while longer. Until I get better."

"I'm tired of people thinking I'm crazy." You groan.

"So you're going to tell them that you're possessed by an archangel?"

"Fair point." You told the voice in your head.

You weren't crazy, you just played the part for safety. About a month ago you'd gone on a solo road trip only to stumble upon a worn down motel. Against your better judgement, you crept inside to find a man lying on the ground, dead. Ash spread across the floor in the pattern of wings. The place looked like it had been abandoned for years but the corpse looked fresh.

What remained of the windows shattered as a high pitched screech sounded through the building. You heard a voice in your head: Gabriel, an archangel needed your help. He faked his death but was badly wounded. He needed a vessel until he'd healed and you were strong enough.

It was hard to believe. At first you thought you were crazy, but when he'd teleported you five towns over to the mental hospital, you had to believe him.

"I'm gonna talk to him." You said. You walked through the hallway over to the new patient's room. You knocked on the door a few times. "Anyone home?"

The patient turned away from the window and smiled at you.

"Hey, you must be the new patient. I'm Y/N." You smiled.

"Castiel. If you're looking for Meg, it's her day off-" He said in a gruff voice.

"Nah, I'm just checking in on you. What are you in for?" You asked, taking a seat on the foot of his bed.

"If you're asking why I'm here it's because I've been diagnosed with schizophrenia, auditory and visual hallucinations. Why are you here?" He asked.

You shrugged and gave him the typical answer, not wanting to give Gabriel away. Just in case. "Schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder." You looked out the window. "Anything interesting outside?" You asked.

He nodded. "I noticed a honeybee outside. They're rather fascinating creatures and very important to the ecosystem. "

"How about we go outside for a bit? I'm getting rather tired of white everything." You suggested.

"Is that a good idea?"

"Shut up Gabe." You muttered.

"I beg your pardon?"

"Nothing. Just talking to myself." You glanced out the hallway. "Come on, let's sneak out to the garden while nobody's watching and come back in time for recreational period." Castiel's mouth opened to speak but you grabbed his hand before he could answer.

Like in a spy movie, the two of you crept down the halls. Once you'd opened the back door you took a deep breath. The fresh air was a pleasant change from the stuffed up hospital room. The two of you sat down on a bench and stared at the tiny flying creatures as they moved from flower to flower.