Paint it Black

Based on 11x16 and the request by sayonera

Warnings: Angst, cruel words towards reader

A.N: Fluffy ending, but I'm putting that warning in place, just in case. I'm pouring some things I think about myself during low-periods and just want to assure you, it's not true. You are loved, you are amazing.

Cold. How was it this cold? You shivered, pulling your sweater closer to your body.

This wasn't how the plan was supposed to go. Gabriel had joined you on your hunt. You'd discovered a soul-eater hiding out in a supposedly haunted house in a small town in Oregon. Not being able to kill it, one person would go into the dream world nest, one would stay outside, and each would draw a symbol to kill it.

For once, he was supposed to be the bait. Gabriel would go inside the nest, finish the sigil that would kill it, and wake up. But of course, that didn't happen. You were in a coma-like state, your soul drifting through a parallel version of the haunted house.

Finish the symbol, kill the soul-eater, wake up, go for pizza. Simple, right? You could do that.

Floorboards creaked as you walked into the dark and empty dining room. A shadow flew by the doorway but disappeared when you turned around. This place was designed to make all your darkest thoughts manifest, keep you on edge. Maybe fear just tasted better.

"Happy thoughts Y/N. Happy thoughts." You muttered to yourself.

Your mind wandered to your angelic boyfriend, Gabriel. When you were in a bad mood, he'd hold you, tell you everything would be alright, maybe crack a joke or two. He was always there for you. To put something to powerful into simple words, you loved him.

Holding onto these thoughts kept you a little bit warmer, lifting your spirits slightly.

You pulled out your hunting knife and cut your non-dominant hand. This was the wall you two had agreed to draw the sigil. Dabbing your fingers in the slowly growing pool of blood, you winced at the pain before beginning to paint.

"You're quite the artist." Someone teased. You spun around. Nothing. Nobody was there.

You continued with the spell, until once again, "Of course, it does look like something a kindergartener would draw."

Gabriel leaned against the opposite wall studying your every move. You were obviously shocked to see him there. "Gabe? What happened, did it-"

He rolled his eyes. Something was obviously off about him. "Oh Y/N. You always worry so much."

"Gabriel, we can't both be here. We'll get stuck, and more people will as well." You pointed out.

"Listen to me very carefully, sweetheart." Gabriel chuckled. He had a lopsided grin on his face and looked you dead in the eyes. Whiskey eyes disappeared when he blinked, replaced with a void of black. "I don't care."

Your heart dropped. You closed your eyes and took a deep breath. "It's not real." This place was playing tricks on you, hitting you where it hurt the most.

When you opened them again, Gabriel was gone. Shakily you continued with the trap.

"In a rush, little one?" The demon cooed, now even closer to you. Seeing the archangel with demonic eyes, a malformed and twisted grace, it made you sick to your stomach. "You can't get rid of me that easily."

"You're not real."

"I'm real enough, sugar." The doppelganger pulled up a chair and straddled it. "You're a peculiar thing, I wonder why I keep you around." He mused.