Nothin' but a Hound Dog

A.N: It's that wonderful time of the year with exams, final projects and ~stress~ ! I know I don't have the most frequent upload schedule, but I'll need to go on hiatus for a little while. Once I get back, requests will be filled and more fics posted. I'll be around occaisionally, so feel free to send me a message or check out my tumblr.  xoxo -E

You awoke to excited barking once again. Rolling over in bed, Gabriel, the corgi stood next to your face. After you opened your eyes, he gave you another lick. "Get up! Come on, up!"

This was the usual way you'd be woken up for the past month. "Alright, alright. I'm up!" You mumbled, pulling the covers off you. "You can stop slobbering on me now." Another lick.

After you managed to push him off your chest, you stumbled into the kitchen, Gabriel at your heels. You put a pot of coffee on, and took out your favourite mug.

"I want one too." Gabriel pouted, laying across the couch in human form.

"You don't need caffeine in your body, you'll be bouncing off the walls." You sighed.

He looked at you, big pleading eyes and lower lip stuck out. No matter what shape he took, the puppy dog eyes were your biggest weakness.

You took out another cup and poured the coffee. "You can do this yourself you know." You told Gabe.

He took a sip from the mug and placed it on the coffee table. "Tastes better when you make it." The familiar chuckled.

Sipping the hot beverage, you looked around your apartment. "Better get this place cleaned up for my date later."

"Woah woah woah. A what?" Gabriel asked, sitting up on the sofa.

"A date," You explained to your familiar. "You know that thing where two people have dinner together in a romantic setting?" 

He rolled his eyes. "I know what a date is, I just don't know why you're going on a date with whatshisface."

"James." You corrected. You picked up one of Gabe's rubber chewtoys and and idly tossed it between your hands, his eyes tracking its movement as you did so.

"You didn't tell me about this." Gabriel huffed.

You sighed. "I did. About seventeen times, you just said 'great that's cool, you gonna eat that or what?'" You recounted the time you were brewing a potion and the familiar had tried to chew on a half-finished potion. "Anyways, can you do me a favour and stay in corgi-mode tonight? Please?" You pleaded.

The cheery and energetic Gabriel had been replaced with a grumpy and over-protective one. "Does this...James...know about-"

"-Me being a witch?" You finished. "No,   and I'd like to keep it that way. For a while at least."

"And he's human?" Gabriel inquired.

You nodded. "Completely. I've done all the tests, he's one-hundred percent human." You replied.

A moment of awkward silence and a bit of a staring contest later, Gabriel gave in. "Fine." He muttered, throwing his hands in the air as a sign of defeat.

You smiled and sat next to him. "Who's a good boy?" You asked repeatedly while ruffling his golden hair. "Come on..."

"...I'm a good boy."

-_-_-_-_-

"He's here!" You chirped before fixing your hair one last time. You had butterflies in your stomach but something felt...off. Like you had the wrong date.

You opened the door and saw James standing there, bouquet of your favourite flowers in hand. "I'm not late am I?"  He questioned.

"No, not at all," You assured him. "You're actually a bit early, lasagne's still in the oven."

"Ooh, lasagne, my favourite!" He said.

"I want lasagne."

"Gabriel please, you just ate." You told him mentally. "But we can watch some TV while we wait." You suggested out loud.

"Sounds good!" James smiled.

After putting the flowers in a vase, you led him to the den where Gabriel sat on a chair, eyeing your date suspiciously.

"You have a dog!" James noticed. He moved his hand to pet Gabriel when the corgi bared his teeth and started growling. The man quickly retracted his hand.

You frowned, this was unusual behaviour for Gabe. Hell, just last week he'd let a sticky toddler rub their hands all over his fur. "I'm sorry, Gabriel doesn't usually act like this." You apologised.

You and James sat down on the sofa. You'd just turned on Doctor Who when your familiar started barking like crazy. "You're in his spot." You sighed.

"I can move if you'd like-" James started.

You interrupted him and shot Gabe a look. "No, it's fine. Gabriel can be a handful at times."

"Am not!"

"Are too."

Gabriel stood rigidly in front of your date, his ears tucked back and body low to the ground (though that wasn't much of a challenge) and stared at James for a solid three minutes. He didn't seem to like the sight of your partner's arm wrapped around your shoulders.

His solution? To hop up on the couch and wedge himself between the two of you, forcing James away from his witch. Gabriel looked up innocently, nudging his head against you, waiting to be petted.

You sighed, you couldn't take it any more. "You know what, there's a place that does pretty good pizza around the corner, want to go out and grab a slice?" You queried.

"What about your lasagne?" James asked.

"We can have it another time, maybe when my dog is more well behaved." You replied, aiming the last bit directly at Gabriel.

Your boyfriend picked up his jacket and put it on. "Sure then, sounds good to me!"

You headed towards the door when Gabriel started to follow. "No. You're staying here." You told him.

He sat down and watched as you walked out the door, arm in arm with your new date. The telepathic bond wasn't working, you'd blocked him out completely.

If you were going to treat him like a mutt, so be it, he was going to act like one.

-_-_-_-_-

You unlocked your front door and headed up the stairs. James had escorted you back home before he left. The place was quiet, which was unusual for Gabriel.

"Gabe? I'm sorry for earlier. I was a bit too harsh and-" You looked around you and your jaw dropped. The carpet was torn to shreds, cushions had their stuffing flowing out of then, things were knocked over and broken, basically it looked like a tornado had blown through.

And Gabriel was right in the centre of it, in the act of ripping apart one of your shoes with his teeth and claws. 

"Are. You. Kidding me?" You growled. "What the hell Gabriel?!" 

Gabe shifted back to his human form and spat out a bit of fluff. "Y/N, I-"

"No, you can't explain." You ran your fingers through your hair in an attempt to calm yourself. "Maybe there's a spell that can fix this..." You pondered, gesturing to the mess.

"I'll help." Gabriel suggested.

You turned to him. "No! No, I'm done with your 'helping'. Why don't you just...just go! Before you break something else."

He opened his mouth to talk but decided otherwise. He picked at his gold collar before throwing it to the ground, and storming out.

Unsure of what to do next, you sat amongst the chaos and planted your face in your hands. Your so-called best friend was gone and you couldn't take it. The only thing left to do was cry.