Hot and Cold

Part 3 of "Cops and Robbers"

Sheriff!Gabriel x (ex) thief!reader

Warnings: Mentions of death, murder, blood, etc.

Words: 1500+

It was slightly ironic that the police department was under investigation. Gabriel might have laughed about it, had one of his colleagues not just been stabbed.

Sheriff Novak was put in charge of the case. It had been suggested that another station house handle it, but Gabriel didn't budge.

Metatron's corpse was now sitting on a metal table in the office of the coroner, Raphael. Foul play was obvious, but they needed as much evidence as they could get.

"You seem tense, Gabriel." You commented when Gabriel was pacing his office.

"Of course I'm tense, a co-worker was murdered and the security footage shows nothing! It's all been wiped!" Gabriel cried out. "Any footage of the killer is gone."

You sighed. "Yikes, this cop business is harder than it seems. Anything I can do?"Helping a police officer was never a priority for you but Gabriel was... different.

Novak shook his head. "I'm sorry, Y/N. Interns can't work cases this big."

"Alright, but if you do need an opinion of someone who's been behind bars, you know where to find me."

-_-_-_-_-

"I'm just saying, the last person to see Metatron alive doesn't have an alibi." Lucifer told Gabriel.

Gabe let out a slight laugh. "You can't think Y/N did this."

"Metatron was going on about a thief! Who do we know that's a thief? Your pet intern!" the detective argued.

"Drop it, Nick." Gabriel barked, using Lucifer's first name, a trick he knew would get his employee to shut his mouth. "I trust Y/N. But if we can't get any more evidence... I'll interview them."

You stood by the door, just out of view, a little shocked. You were listening in again. Did Gabriel really think you could do this?

-_-_-_-_-

"Metatron wasn't the nicest, but he was a good detective. It's a pity to see him here, but I can't say I'm not satisfied to be putting his organs into plastic containers." Raphael told you and Gabriel.

"Um... okay." Gabe said. "So, cause of death?"

"He was stabbed."

"Why thank you, Raph. That wasn't obvious at all."

Raphael rolled her eyes. "Can I continue? He was stabbed in the external jugular with a blade, around five inches long."

"Only five inches, huh?" Gabriel joked.

You snorted and Raphael shot you a dirty look.

"A man is dead and you're making dick jokes. Of course." Raphael muttered. "Metatron bled to death around twelve AM. Anything else you need to know is in here." She turned to you pushed some files into your hands.

"Thanks." You grumbled.

"I have a question. Why date somebody like Gabriel?" Raphael asked.

Your face grew redder than a firetruck. "Oh he's not my-"