Birthday Breakfast

Based on the request by lanagjonas (tumblr)

12:00 AM. Your apartment was quiet, and empty apart from yourself. You slept soundly in your bed, resting after a hard day of work.

The digital alarm clock on your bedside changed to 12:01, and all Hell broke loose. Or rather, heaven.

"It was the heeeeeeeat of the moment-" The radio clock blared, snapping you awake. You grabbed the hunting-knife hidden under your pillow, prepared to use it for whatever supernatural being could be coming.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" A cheerful voice beside you suddenly cried. On instinct, you plunged the knife into their chest, gasping in horror when you realised who your victim was. "Huh. Didn't think THAT was a part of the birthday ritual." Gabriel muttered. With a snap, the knife was gone, leaving behind no wound. 

The archangel stood by your bed, bouquet of balloons in hand, party-hat sitting crookedly on his golden mane.

"Gabriel, you asshat! I was sleeping!" You cried, silencing the still playing music of your clock.

"So you stab me?"

"You scared me! You can't just zap in at god damn midnight!"

Gabriel pouted. "But Y/N, it's your birthday!"

You sighed. "Yes, thank you Gabriel. But I'd like to celebrate once I've gotten some sleep."

The archangel chuckled, and kissed your forehead. "Sleep well, Sugar."

You fell into a deep, dreamless sleep, waking up hours later. A sweet smell wafted through the apartment, and into your room, a melodious voice accompanying it. You glanced over at the clock, a little surprised you had slept so long.

"No, there ain't no rest for the wicked, 'till we close our eyes for good..." Gabriel sang, back facing towards you. A pink lace apron was tied around his waist, a stark contrast against the rest of his clothing.

You clapped and grinned. "Bravo! A private concert for one."

Gabriel whirled around, a bit shocked to see you. His cheeks flushed red, but he bowed dramatically. "Only the finest for the birthday-"

"Something's burning."

"SHIT!" Gabriel swore, and turned back around, flipping a pancake onto a plate before too much damage could be done. "Nothing a little syrup can't fix." He added, pouring a small lake's worth of golden liquid onto the breakfast treat.

"Want some pancake with your syrup?" You asked, taking your place at the breakfast table.

"Shush." Gabriel said, resting the plate in front of you. "Thought I'd give cooking a try. Human stuff is harrrrddd!" Gabe complained, dragging out the last word.

Laughing, you cut a piece off of the pancake and took a bite. "Gabe, this is actually pretty good."

Gabriel shrugged, his expression one of 'I know, I just wanted to hear you say it'. "Well, I've got more to come. Waffles, muffins, eggs, you name it."

Gabe pulled a chair out, turned it around and straddled it. "So, got any birthday plans, Cupcake?"

You shrugged. "Order pizza and watch a movie after work, I guess- speaking of work I'm l-"

You got up but Gabe raised a hand. "Easy there, Sugar. I've pulled a few strings, you don't need to worry about work." He explained. "Now, we've got the whole day to do anything you want. Just ask for it and..." He snapped his fingers and held out a flower that hadn't been there a second ago. "You've got it."

"You spoil me." You flirted.

"Only the best for my sweetheart." Gabriel replied with a wink. "So, what is it you want your fantastic archangel boyfriend to do?"

You finished up your breakfast and put your plate in the sink. "Maybe we could... cuddle?"

Gabriel grinned and picked you up ad if you weighed nothing. "That, I can do."

He snapped his fingers and the mess in the kitchen disappeared. "What? Never said I had to clean up the human way."

You laughed and rested your head against Gabriel's chest. He kissed you, a sweet kiss that tasted slightly minty. "Happy birthday, Y/N."