Playing Doctor

Words: 1100+

Summary: The reader gets sick, and Gabriel is left to care for them. Let's hope he knows what he's doing.

Based on the request by: allistyles333 (tumblr)

AN: The picture above doesn't have much to do with the oneshot. Just look at how cute he is!

Warning: Sickness

Gabriel missed being an archangel. He missed creating illusions at the snap of his fingers, missed flying anywhere in the blink of an eye, missed the strength and confidence his power brought him.

But most of all, Gabriel missed his power to heal others. Before he met you, he barely used this gift on anyone but himself. So when he found you in the bathroom in the middle of the night, kneeling in front of the toilet, he tried to heal you.

"I'm fine." You lied, wiping your mouth.

The back of Gabriel's hand rested on your forehead. Your skin was hot to the touch, your brow beaded with sweat. "Sweetheart, don't lie to me."

He expected the colour to rush back into your face, for you to stop sweating, but it didn't happen.

"Gabriel, what are you doing?"

"Healing- oh. Right." Gabriel pulled his hand away. "I forgot." He helped you up and lead you back to bed.

Being a human didn't stop Gabe from spoiling you. He practically had to force you to stay in bed, telling you off if you so much as set a toe on the floor.

"I'm fine. And Sam and Dean need my help." You muttered weakly.

Gabriel shook his head and eased you back onto the pillows. "Those two mutton heads need help finding their own asses. Now you're gonna stay here."

"But Gaaabe-"

"Don't 'but Gabe' me. You need rest. If you need anything- anything at all- you call for me. Got it?" The ex-archangel asked.

You nodded. Gabriel kissed your forehead and pulled the covers back over you. You felt so fragile, as if one tap was all it would take to get you to crumble. Your stomach was doing backflips, your sinuses were clogged, death felt like it would be a gift.

"Gabe?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm too hot." You whined.

He winked at you. "I know."

You frowned and squirmed. "Noooo, I mean I'm burning here."

Gabe pulled the covers down. "Better?"

"Now I'm cold!"

He sighed and arranged the bedsheets so one of your arms and one of your legs was sticking out, but the rest of you was covered. "Better?"

"Better."

Gabriel didn't mind fussing over you, no matter how small the task. Make some soup, pass me those tissues, throw the mountain of used ones out, anything. You gave the word and Gabriel was happy to oblige.

"Do you want a back rub?" Gabe asked you.

You weakly nodded and sat up.

Gabriel sat behind you and started massaging your shoulders. His hands felt like magic, almost like he had his powers again, healing all your aches.

And he sang a song to you, an old Enochian song his father had once sung to him long ago.

It was about creation, a song about love. You couldn't understand a word of it, but it was the most beautiful thing you've ever heard.

And you fell asleep in Gabriel's arms, dreaming of flying.

He held you and decided he didn't need his grace. You were enough. You were worth all the powers in the world and if he had to be human to be with you, so be it.

Gabriel decided you two as humans could grow old together. That sounded nice. He'd propose and get a proper job, and buy a house.

But he still felt incomplete without his grace. Gabriel could feel something nagging at the back of his mind, sense a part of himself empty. And as a human, watching you suffer like this, it broke Gabe's heart. The heart that beat, the heart that was now his own. 

Gabriel felt useless.

"Gabe?" You whispered.

"Yeah, Cupcake?" Was his reply.

"You're quiet," You said. "You're never quiet."

Gabriel sighed. "Just thinking. Don't worry about me, just focus on getting rest."

"I'm sick, Gabriel. Not stupid. Talk to me."

The angel- ex-angel- ran his fingers through his hair, slicking it back. He always had to keep his hands occupied when he was nervous, it was a habit Lucifer poked fun of when he was a fledgling. "Am I worth anything like this?"

"What do you mean? Of course you're worth something! You're worth everything to me." You told him.

"Well I mean, I can't do anything without my powers! I'm-"

"Sam, Dean, Cas, and I have saved the world over and over. We've all been human, three of us for our entire lives." You scolded. "Do I have powers?"

Gabriel mumbled something.

"Well?"

"No..."

"And I kick ass." You said, right before sneezing. You sniffled and Gabriel passed over a tissue. "Thanks."

"No problem."

"Gabriel, nobody is useless. We seize the day and we do what we can." You explained. "So we're human, we all have our weaknesses. But we fight. We survive."

The two of you sat in silence for a bit.

"Done with your speech, walking zombie?" Gabriel joked.

You scoffed. "Shut up, Feathers. I can still kick your ass like this."

"Keep dreaming, Sugar." Gabriel chuckled and kissed your warm forehead.  "Keep dreaming."

-_-_-_-_-

You woke up a couple days later, feeling fine. The colour had returned to your face, you were breathing right, and all your energy was back. You felt the need to thank Gabriel for taking care, or rather, putting up with you. Where was he?

His spot in the bed you shared was empty. You walked down the hallway, looking for him and calling his name. "Gabriel? Gabe, honey?"

"In here..."

You followed his voice, it sounded faint. The bathroom door was open a crack.

"Shit, Gabriel!"

"Ey, shug. Don worry bou me. M' fine." Gabe assured you, voice slurred from sickness. He was clutching the sides of the toilet bowl, looking even worse than you did when you were infected.

"I think I passed it on to you..." You said sheepishly. "Come on, let's get you to bed."

You led him back, setting him down onto the mattress. He whined like a child, resistant of being helped. "M'fine, you said humansh can do whadever."

"Getting rest and being pampered when you're sick is also part of being human." You explained. "Now it's my turn to play doctor."

Gabriel smiled. "Well, I'm a bit cold. Can you get another blanket?"

You did so, laying the sheet over him and tucking your angel in. "Sleep well, Gabriel."

He closed his eyes, and you walked away to make yourself some breakfast.

"Y/N?" Gabriel called again. "I'm too hot..."