Fighting Feelings

Human!Gabriel AU

Based on the request by anonymous (tumblr) and the song "I Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore" by REO Speedwagon

Words: 900+

Warnings: Slight angst

"Hey, pass me a beer?"

Gabriel obliged and handed you a bottle. Your fingers brushed against his for a second. Your heart skipped a beat as you took the glass bottle from him and took a seat beside your friend.

You were outside, watching the sun set into hundreds of beautiful shades. Red, pink, yellow overtook the blue. Wind pushed some golden strands of hair into Gabriel's face. "So." He said.

"So..." You replied. You popped open the beer cap and took a sip. The swinging bench on Gabriel's front porch was a little too small for your liking. Gabriel was pretty close to you. You half wanted him to yawn and reach an arm around you.

"I'll miss you. I mean, there'll be nobody else to help prank the Winchesters!" Gabriel exclaimed.

You laughed. "I'm sure you'll find someone."

"But Y/N, there's nobody like you." Gabe said.

You could feel your cheeks grow red. "Th- thanks..." You stammered.

It was quiet for a beat. That sort of awkward silence you wanted to break by pushing your lips against his. But no, you were friends. Nothing more than friends.

"I'll miss you."

"You said that already, Gabe."

Gabriel shrugged. "Well, it's true."

"How long have we been friends for?" You asked him.

"I lost track. Since we were in diapers?" Gabriel chuckled. "You've been there through everything."

"Thick and thin," You recalled."All of your dumb phases..."

Gabriel moved his blonde hair over one of his eyes, reminiscent of his eyeliner and too much hair-gel era. "It's not a phase!"

You both laughed, and he moved his hair back into place. You fought the urge to move that one last strand away from his eyes.

And soon you wouldn't even be in the same country. You'd received a job offer in London too good to turn down. So Gabriel threw you a party, just to celebrate your last day together.

God, that made it sound like you were a couple being broken up. But Gabriel didn't like you. Not the way you liked him.

Or so you thought.

-_-_-_-_-

You sat down, staring at the ticket in your hands. A new life. Was it worth it?

"You look like absolute shit." Balthazar commented with a soft chuckle.

"Wow. Thanks." Gabriel replied sarcastically.

Balthazar walked closer to his friend. "You're an idiot, you know."

"Does this conversation have a point, other than crushing my self esteem?" Gabriel asked, narrowing his eyes.

Balthazar muttered a few choice words in French before he continued. "You're blind, and  so is Y/N. Are you seriously the only ones who can't see you love each other?"

"What? No, I'm just a friend." Gabe mumbled.

Balth snacked him upside the head. "No you're not. Y/N adores you, and you most definitely have feelings to return."

"So what are you saying?"

"I'm saying go before it's too late."

You looked at your carry-on bag, double checking in your mind that you had everything. Something was missing.

Gabriel's knuckles turned white as he gripped the steering wheel. He was running out of time. He had to get there. He had to tell you.

You looked at your phone. Was it too late to send one last goodbye? And maybe, just maybe a little confession?

Gabe rushed into the airport, his hair a mess.

A woman looked up from her desk. "I'm sorry, sir. Can I help you?"

"I- I'm just looking for a friend."

"What time does their flight land?" She asked.

"No, it's leaving." Gabriel replied. He gave her the flight you had and the attendant typed something into her computer and sadly looked up at him.

"I'm sorry, sir. That plane left half an hour ago."

-_-_-_-_-

You still talked over the phone and on Skype, but the whole thing seemed forced. Awkward, even.

"Gabriel, I won't be able to chat on your birthday." You said sadly.

His face fell, but he forced a smile. "I understand."

You sighed. "I'm sorry, I've just got plans."

'A date' Gabriel thought. "No worries." He replied curtly.

"I'll see you around, Gabe."

"See you."

"Goodb-" You started before he ended the call.

To say Gabriel was pissed was an understatement. It was like you didn't even want to see him anymore.

Maybe you just didn't need him anymore.

-_-_-_-_-

April 1st rolled around, and Gabriel was having a wonderful combination of a birthday party and a personal pity party.

He stabbed at a slice of cake with a fork, sitting alone in his kitchen, watching his friends have fun.

"What's the problem, little bro?" Lucifer asked, sitting across from his brother.

"Y/N." Gabe said gloomily. "Y/N is the problem."

Lucifer bit his lip and glanced at the clock. "Right..."

The doorbell rang. Gabriel didn't even look up.

"You should get that." Lucifer told him.

Gabe shrugged and got up. He slowly made his way to the door to open it and find-

"Y/N?!"

"Surprise! Happy birthday slash April fools!" You said gleefully.

Gabriel's amber eyes lit up and he broke into a grin. He wrapped his arms around you, holding you close before pulling away to look at you again. "God, I'm so happy I could-"

You kissed him. Right on the lips, like you'd dreamed of so many times. You ran your fingers through his hair, taking in the sugary scent he had around him, everything you had missed so much.

You pulled away for air. "-Kiss me?"

He smiled. "Exactly."