Shots Fired

Based on a request (for angelsxreader) by anonymous

Warnings: Angst (fluff later), family members' deaths (mentioned)

BANG

The gun shook in your hands. You paused and reloaded, the sound of the shot still resonating through the room.

Sam and Dean were out on a new case, leaving you alone in the bunker's shooting range. You felt like practising was the only thing that could distract you at the moment.

The memory was all too fresh in your mind. You tried to push it further and further away but it kept rushing back.

BANG

You bit your lip to prevent it from trembling. Absent-mindedly, you wiped the steady stream of tears away with your jacket sleeve.

BANG

You felt like it was all your fault. You'd been hunting for a while now, you made it your job to protect people. And now you'd failed.

BANG

Your parents, blissfully ignorant with their normal lives. You wondered if they still thought you were in college.

It was supposed to be a simple wendigo hunt in your hometown. It was anything but.

You and the boys arrived in time to slay the thing, but not in time to save the victims. Your parents had been hiking in the forest.

BANG

Blood everywhere. Faces frozen in terror. If only you'd been faster...

"Hey Sugar!"

The voice startled you. You pulled the gun away at the last second but the bullet still hit the chest of the figure in front of you.

"Do you greet all your friends like that?" Gabriel asked. He picked the bullet out and let it drop to the floor.

You put the gun down. "You startled me. You can't just pop in like that!" You shouted.

He chuckled. Did that guy take anything seriously? "I'll make sure to knock next time."

"What are you doing here?" You asked. You reached for the gun but Gabe grabbed it before you could.

"Cas told me what happened. I came to cheer you up." He held the weapon just out of your reach.

"Give that back Gabriel." You asked, stretching your hand out towards him.

He gave you the look. The 'I'm up to something but I'm not gonna tell you because magic' look. He handed you back you gun.

Instead of the usual 'BANG' the gun gave out a weak 'pop' and sent an orange cylinder flying through the air. You looked the pistol over in your hands. Instead of the deadly silver weapon, you were now holding a piece of orange plastic. "A nerf gun? Really?"

The archangel grinned and pulled out a similar one out of thin air. "We'll have a showdown. Cas talked me out of costumes but I think I look great in western get up-"

"No." You stated. "I don't want to play some childish game with you."

"You afraid you'll lose?" Gabriel's question hit you like a brick.

You shot a dart at his face. The suction cup end stuck to his nose for a few seconds before silently dropping to the floor. "It's on."

He wiggled his eyebrows and disappeared. You muttered a quiet "Cheater" and crept upstairs to find him. He was going DOWN.

You snuck upstairs cautiously. You heard something move in the library. You raised the nerf gun and slowly walked inside.

Something hit the back of your head. You spun around as Gabriel fired rapidly at your chest.

You fired back at him, giggling uncontrollably. You dodged as many darts as you could and shot back until your gun clicked. Empty.

You tried to run away but Gabriel grabbed your arm. He pulled you towards the couch, still pointing his pistol at you. "Surrender."

"Never!" You taunted.

"Then you leave me no choice." Gabriel dropped the gun and started to tickle you.

You collapsed on the sofa, involuntarily laughing and twitching. "S-stop! Please!" You giggled.

"Tell me you give up." He said, continuing to poke at your sides.

"I give, I give, you win!" You laughed.

"Say: Gabriel is the best, I owe him my life."

"Up- up yours!"

"If you insist..."

"Fine! Gabriel's the best and I owe him my life." You laughed.

He stopped. He stood over you for a few awkward seconds, lips inches away from yours. You'd never really taken the time to appreciate his eye colour; like sunlight through a whiskey glass.

He stared into your eyes before pulling away. "You did well. For a hunter."

"Thanks." You blushed. "If think." You sat upright and Gabe sat down next to you.

"Feeling any better?" He asked. There was a note of sincerity in his voice, one that replaced the usual cocky tone. Then again, he'd never seemed sarcastic towards you.

"Yeah, much better. Thanks for cheering me up." You smiled. "Can I ask why you did this?"

"Well, I suggested paintball but Dean didn't want the bunker-"

You interrupted the angel. "No, I meant why do you want to cheer me up?" You asked.

"Because I care about you." He took a deep breath and ran his fingers through his golden hair. "Because I-"

"I love you too." You whispered.

He looked shocked, but the corners of his mouth turned upwards to form that familiar crooked smile. "Good."

Staring into each other's eyes, the both of you slowly moved in closer. You could smell the sweet sugar on Gabriel's breath.

You grabbed his gun and shot him in the chest. "I am the champion!" You yelled gleefully.

You did a victory lap around the room before Gabriel pulled you close for an actual kiss.